• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cruise control

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Looked into classic and see a cruise control unit for sale. Dash mount or mounts on the column. Figured to mine on the dash don't have column shift any way. Has any one put in one of these or have seen something close. I am spoiled with my ranger with my legs and hips bothering me now day's though it would be a good addition to the car. Russ. :D

Rich B

Reaction score
Have done this Russ with my ‘84 Turbo Z. A servo is required with the cable throttle control; a parallel cable is used from servo to take up the slack the same as pressing down gas pedal. Brake release required to release servo and resume gas pedal. Calibration is required to match speed with speedometer. It’s not bad at all.

On/off control mounted on end of turn signal and mine looked better than OEM, perfect match with other knobs etc. All a servo does is change an electrical signal into the corresponding mechanical movement of something. Not sure on dash control; many acceptable variables out there.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Rich I read that you have to push the button to get one mile and hour increment's. So their is a link to the brake pedal to resume control of the gas pedal. Well it is a though. If you are doing 60 and hit the button it will automatic hold that speed rite. On the ranger I can hold the speed increaser and it advances automatic. So these do not work this way. Just a thought did you have to drill more holes in the fire wall or dose it go in with out drilling any hole's Russ.

Rich B

Reaction score
Roger on that with the increments Russ. That was quite awhile back, as I recall if say your going 50MPH you should be able to set auto so it will match that speed and then if you wanted to go 60MPH just rotate rheostat control knob either direction to increase or decrease speed. Tap button on end of control to set- retap to return to gas pedal op. But that was what I had, others were out there.

So we’ve had a ‘16 LaCrosse these past 3 years as DD. That thing has more junk in it than anybody could ever want. Don’t have any idea if cruise control even works, never use. But acceleration is controlled electrically via gas pedal- no cable these days. So completely different set of rules there.

Drill holes, never. Always have a plug that can be slit to fish a wire or 2 or next to steering column? Sleeve cable with wire loom if any chaffing at all could occur. Even plastic aquarium hose works great. Keep up the good work and ideas.

Regards, Rich

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes Rich I drilled and extra hole in the fire wall where the tach wire would be run for my gages Under dash. Made it a little bigger to run thermostat gage because the sending unit as you and I know is quite large. I don't trust the gages that are in the car the are old. Not a bad Idea to have two of ever thing like NASA dose. Thank you for the info. OH I think I found a runner for you. 13000 Thou. Need some work. I know of a 73 for 2600 need's a lot of work but all original. Your buddy Russ. Roadunner pic. .png

Rich B

Reaction score
Thanks a million Russ, I just don’t have your enthusiasm these days. So I bought a ‘87 Corvette back around ‘01 or so. Not bad at all but wanted it like new as possible. Repaint, seats, detailing and all that, this was typically what one would look at as a mediocre thing, not rotisserie resto or anything as such.

So after maybe ten years the cars are still depreciating, nobody wants them, I even got to dislike mine. So I planned on putting maybe $10K into it. What was I thinking with all that work, all that money and the car would never be anything more. Mine was probably close to the 245NHP advertised with the Hyper-chip addition- 350CID auto. Hmm, what to do now?

I traded my DD and that together (just retired) and bought a new Boss Mustang (2012) 444 advertised HP, who knows? I’m sorry, not a road runner but I had mine a decade and got to know them fairly well. Always fond memories, forgot most of the bad lol. Never looked back, no problems whatsoever now a days and always at the ready. Does attract attention, maybe 4 in the state these days. What is it, maybe one Boss for every million people on Earth these days?

Reading these threads I remember things long forgotten about the road runner. I certainly can appreciate these cars. But it was always the best to see one pulling out someplace or going down the road...... Driving one, not sure I want to again, I mean those vinyl bench seats? ReCaros aren’t too bad at all. But on the other hand, never say never I s’pose.

Too, Wife had a ‘67 Fastback so those have memories also. That’s the one I put headers and duals on. Loved how they showed underneath, when cars sat a bit higher. Darn, so we’ve been together over half a century now.

Best, Rich

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes I am with you. The love of these car's is a passion. I always wanted the mustang fast back Cobra. I really like them along with the Chevy SS and the Camaro. Just love muscle car's. But had a passion for the roadrunner and now I have one. It will have bucket seat's and console. Building it like I want it. Have a good one buddy and love chatting with ya. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Back