• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash frame restore.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Here is the question. Is it necessary to remove the vin plate. Or can you just tape it off. I am sand blasting the hole thing. I do not see any rust around it at all. So I know that you guy's have done these before why did you remove it. Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I considered sand blasting the hole thing then paint just the vin tag with my hot rod black. Then tape it off and use the lacquer paint over the dash. Well just a thought. Thanks for the info all suggestion are good. I saw the one you did and it looked grate. Russ.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
if you hit the vin plate too long, it will warp and not sit flat. also you will lose the Chrysler manufacturing writing.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If all that is on the frame is original paint two swipes with sand paper and its gone. No need to blast

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
if you hit the vin plate too long, it will warp and not sit flat. also you will lose the Chrysler manufacturing writing.
Mac did not see the writing on the vin plate. Ops. This mean's someone was their before me. OH NO.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
You know think some one had painted this dash before me. It dose not have the texture I should have had. :(

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If that's the case pull the vin and start fresh sand blasting is a rough media for sheet metal though.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Using 40F sand and I don't have a high pressure blaster. It leaves a smooth finish. Will rust proof it and spray with epoxy then sand it smooth. Using 3000 sanding. The paint TCI sells is a rough texture so I under stand. Well will see when I paint it. Yes will probably pull the vin tag. Thanks for the advice. Russ.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Russ69Runner, Yes will probably pull the vin tag. Thanks for the advice. Russ.[/QUOTE]

then either save the heads of the rivets or find a source for the correct looking roset head rivet to reinstall.

Back