• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash removal tips?

CompSyn

Reaction score
Soon, I'll be setting a course for the unknown. Removing the dash from my 69 Road Runner. I've done many car projects but removing the dash was never part of them. So I'm wondering what tips and techniques work well for this. Is there a disassembly sequence that works best?

Note. The windshield is already out as well as the engine and trans.

Thanks!

Goon

Reaction score
take pictures as you go, especially with the vent & heater control cables(the routing of them)

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I did not have much their. The screws near the windshield where hard to get out on mine. Took instrument's out first marked every thing from fire wall to dash. All electrical plugs and what they went to. No AC or heater in mine so could not say any thing about that. Have to loosen the brackets from the steering wheel sector area and one from the hinge pillar post. Hope this helps. Your Buddy Russ. :beep:

quikbird

Reaction score
The fun part here is the dash pad. Reaching the screws for that is tough. Since the glass is already out I propose the following sequence. Loosen the two bolts on the sides of the dash. Then remove the screws on the dash next to the glass. Keep a hand on the dash it will try to rotate toward the seat. A small board can support it if you don't have any help. Now can reach the speedo cable and the dash pad speed nuts and decide how want to handle the cluster and the switch panel. Also what to do about wires. All depends if are adding a new wiring harness, . Hope this gives you a start.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
with the windshield out, it's pretty easy. there are several bolts along the top of the dash, usually under the windshield gasket.
there is a bolt, on each side about the top of the kick panels.
IIRC, there is a center bolt underneath.
Unplug the wires on the bulkhead connector on the firewall, and push the retaining clips, moving the dash end to the inside of the car.
Unplug the heater plug on the front of the heater,radio antenna wire,ground wire to the steering column.Also the dome light switch wires on the left and right.
And you'll have to unbolt the steering column and let it drop down.
The dash should be ready to come out, but double check for any other ground wires.
Oh and the speedometer cable needs unhooked.
Once out, this is the best time to replace the master cylinder if you have manual brakes, and the windshield wiper pivot gaskets.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
What they said. The harness will come out with the dash and install it the same way. The steering column should be out.

CompSyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone. The dash is OUT!!! I took lots of pics and some panning views with video. Every nut, bolt, retainer, fastener is bagged and tagged. Here are a couple of pics:
35496167900_447e24b8ea_c.jpg
35884026625_34d0e2e9b3_c.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
looks like there is a mouse family that is now homeless......

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I was out with my car and had a lot of nest material blow out of the driver's vent. So I vacumed it out through the grates of the vent but it kept coming. I pulled the cover and the stuff kept coming down from the vent. I had about a foot of the vacuum hose in the vent. Don't know if I got all of it or not. Guess I'll find out the hard way. The little fu@ks had already chewed up my head liner and now I know where they took the stuff!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I dragged a '69 Charger R/T in for parts that had been sitting for years. It had a really nice H pipe that I used on my '68 Charger R/T.It was was after dark when I was finished putting the pipe on the car, and I went for a quick ride. I went about a mile, and when I was coming down the hill and let off the gas, there was a neat fire show from the mice nest that had been in the old Cherry Bombs.

quikbird

Reaction score
Looks empty! Now is time to decide about wiring harness and also absolutely the best time to replace the wiper pivot seals etc.

CompSyn

Reaction score
Looks empty! Now is time to decide about wiring harness and also absolutely the best time to replace the wiper pivot seals etc.

Yes. What vendor should I source the pivot seals from? Are they all pretty much the same quality?

Also, I'm keeping the car stock. What do I need to decide for the wire harness?

quikbird

Reaction score
Wherever you get them ( the pivot seals), order an extra set. They are cheap. You will probably need them. Don't ask how I know. Think I got mine from classic industries, about $11.00.
For wiring there are replacement harnesses, remembering that the original harness is 6 fuses and not all that well organized. Or can go with an upgrade to a better harness that will handle more circuits and better safety. I have no problem with people who want a pure stock car, but those cars didn't stop well, the wiring was dangerous, some still had a single brake master cylinder. If you are cruising or driving this car with the wife and kids, I want a safe car. Your call, your car, YOUR choice. That's my 2 cents

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you go stock, Year one has the most correct quality harness, the company that makes them only sells to Year One. Watch for sales and get on their e-mail list for discount codes

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
then bend over and brace yourself when you see Y1s shipping cost........

Back