• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dave 69 RR Convertible Intro

Reaction score
Just picked up a 69 Convertible Roadrunner, working on a VIN search to verify the proper engine, but appears to be the 426Hemi with an automatic transmission.... rare find if true, wish me luck. Regardless of the engine combo, excited to get this thing back out on the streets. Car is complete and can be driven, but I intend on a complete resto..... will take a while, but feel the car is worth the effort. More to follow.

Reaction score
Ok, VIN says the car was in fact originally a 383 Roadrunner.... maybe a little disappointed, but not much. Car currently has a 440 in it and runs strong leaving me with the delima of deciding to stay with the 440 or going to the original 383 for the resto.... I also have a line on a '69 426 that needs a home so may go that route as well... thoughts??? I guess the real question is do I want an "original" build or not.... tough decisions.

Reaction score
Going to try and attach some pictures.... car looks rough in these, but it's been sitting outside untouched for six years other than being started periodically.... you can see some surface rust, but I have found no spots rusted through anywhere on the car..... Also, all the missing trim pieces are inside the car so it's all there, just needs some attention..... looking forward to the project and will lean on the experience in this forum for as long as you guys will put up with me....

Bottom1.jpg

Bottom2.jpg

Bottom3.jpg

Front.jpg

LS.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

RR.jpg

RR1.jpg

RS.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
your car looks pretty good! as far as the 440, might as well save some $ and stick with that unless you have the original 383.love the Cragars.

Reaction score
Anyone got a good site that will help me completely breakdown the VIN for this car? I got the engine size and such but not having luck decoding most of the rest of it....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you don't have the numbers matching 383 stay with the 440. Now if money is not an issue grab the hemi.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
vins are easy...
1st is car line(should be R for Belvedere)
2nd is Price Class(M)
3rd and 4th is Body Type (21 Sedan,23 Hardtop)
5th is engine (G 383 or J for Hemi)M for 440 6 Barrel
6th is model year (9)
7th is assembly plant(A Lynch Road,G St Louis)
then Sequence number

Reaction score
Ok, that helps some, but going to look for the fender tag.... want to know as much as I can up front. Lots of satellites out there dressed in a birds clothes.... want to be certain.... I'm 99.9% sure this is a true runner, but want to eliminate any doubt.

Reaction score
You guys are great, thanks for the quick responses.... really looking forward to this project and want to make it to the Smokey Mountain Rod Runs in style next year....

droptop

Reaction score
Anyone got a good site that will help me completely breakdown the VIN for this car? I got the engine size and such but not having luck decoding most of the rest of it....

I'll take a shot at it.

RM Belvedere, Satellite Medium Price (Road Runner)
27 convertible
H 335 horse 383
9 model year 1969
G build plant St. Louis
XXXXXX serial number

cj69RR

Reaction score
That's going to be a very cool project. I'd keep the 440 or if plenty of $$$ get the hemi! A vert hemi road runner, hard to beat that.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
actually I beat you both on the first page....:toetap::toetap::toetap:

Smokngun

Reaction score
Sheet metal looks nice on the car! Hopefully it doesn't need floors from the weeds growing around it. I'm with the others, leave the 440 in the car (or go HEMI). You may find a "correct" date code 383 for the car, but it still wouldn't be "Original". Drive it like you stole it! You'll find most of the guys here know every detail about what IS correct on these cars, but few will fault you for your car not BEING correct. I like it here. ;)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
exactly, your car, your time, your $$ make it to make you happy.

chapdog105

Reaction score
If you have a shot at getting a 426 Hemi to put in it, you should grab it.
The next best thing to numbers matching is a 426. It may actually be worth more with the Hemi, as long as you get the car back to correct as possible in other facets of the restoration.
I just finished a full restoration on my 69 convertible. Mine was probably a little worse than what you're dealing with in terms of a starting point.
Either way, it's difficult to draw the line when restoring a car. Especially a rare converible.
I found myself initially thinking I could restore only certain things, and half-ass the rest. Then you get to a point when you have to restore absolutely everything, and that's an expensive and time consuming endeavor.

Best of luck! I promise that if you restore it, you'll have the time of your life cruising that baby around. The looks I get in my convertible are priceless.

Here is a pic of what I started with in comparison to what it is now. It took 5 long years, a lot of frustration, a loving (and forgiving) wife, and way more $ than I'm comfortable talking about.

RR97.jpg

Back