• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ddex1957 Intro

ddex1957

Reaction score
hi,
looking to get into the classic muscle car hobby. Always wanted a 69 roadrunner since high school. some 30 years later really got the bug now. I've been searching all kinds of sites and can't seem to find the right one at the right price. Willing to pay a fair price but concerned I may over pay. Car dealers seem to have 20-25% mark-up.
dale

ddex1957

Reaction score
should I be concerned with purchasing 1969 roadrunner where owner said quarter panel seams are visible on the outside of both quarters with close inspection.

b-star69

Reaction score
yea they probably put quarter skins on instead of a full quarter. a good welder can do a skin right and a jackleg well ya know. Welcome to the best roadrunner forum on earth. :beep:

inri

Reaction score
hi,
looking to get into the classic muscle car hobby. Always wanted a 69 roadrunner since high school. some 30 years later really got the bug now. I've been searching all kinds of sites and can't seem to find the right one at the right price. Willing to pay a fair price but concerned I may over pay. Car dealers seem to have 20-25% mark-up.
dale

Welcome DDEX,

If the bug is biting you hard you could always do what I did... ... I went through and searched every city in every state on Craigslist and found the perfect car to fit my needs. It took a long time doing this but you will find a lot of cars on Craigslist that aren't listed elsewhere. This is assuming location isn't a problem for you.

If you decide to check Craigslist out, try the larger cities first as they'll have a bigger population where you might find a '69 RR. Also, when you're searching for a roadrunner you should search first for "roadrunner" and then "road runner" in the same city. Craigslist is weird about how one spells and what information shows up based on that.

Be patient and know what you want. Over time you'll find exactly what you want :)

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. As for what car to get alot depends on how much work you're willing to do on it. If you have the body and mechanical skills then get a car that needs work and do it yourself. If you're like me who is limited in what I can do on my cars then buy one that is all done. I've bought 3 cars that way. I'd rather be able to get in them, turn a key and go! But you still need to be careful. None of my cars were 100% perfect and needed one thing or another done to them. But they have all been reliable and have not to date left me stranded. Look it over good or have someone you trust look it over. IMHO, it's usually a bit cheaper to buy a car already done, but again it's all about what you want to get out of the hobby.

gunnar

Reaction score
Welcome from northern Minnesota.

All the replies above are good. Take your time but go with your heart and you will find a nice car that fits your needs and pocketbook.

Inri, why is it that there is no nationwide search function on craigslist?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome from Ohio. I brought mne home from Michigan.

69383RR

Reaction score
Welcome from Vermont, mine came from Michigan as well so did my Charger. I know what you're talking about , either they are all ready to go and are in the high twenties to $30000 + range or are complete pile of rust . Very few in between , but they are out there . I keep an eye out for them because I might do another one after the Charger build .

modernistsouth

Reaction score
Hodge restoration is a shop near my parents that does frame off restorations. It's probably like the dealer markup that you mention, but he always has a few restorations for sale. Right now, he has a '70 Superbird and a numbers matching '68 383 that's been converted to a hemi four speed.

http://www.hodgerestorations.com/sale.html

Here's a '69 listed on the Charlotte Craigslist for $18K- http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4146880194.html

Looks a bit overpriced, but it's a clean runner that doesn't show a lot of rust except under and around the vinyl top.

moparmonk

Reaction score
A mighty Welcome from Maine.... Keep in mind, these were built some 40 years ago and technology was nothing compared to today. No scanners, computers, or CAN Busses, Etc. A 99 cent volt meter at the dollar store has more abiltiy to solve problems than any front-row lead techs had back then. However, there is no substitute for dirty hands, a cold beer, a lawn chair and an hour to sit back and think about what is actually happening in front of you. This Kick-Ass Website and a lap-top (In that said lawn chair) will lead you down the right road faster than any Garmin Nuvi ever could. There is a butt-load of extremely knowledgeable and great people on this site that can't wait to lend you a info-tip. If you take anything away from this post, be it this! Americans built these cars, and Americans (Sorry, Steve and others out there) can work, repair and bring em back! (Steve and others are great contributors from accross the big pond!) Do not be afraid of working on them. It will mean more when you get it done. Ok, I will bite. It does take a lot of time and money and some tools. When you need a new tool, research it (here of course) and go get it. Consider it a birthday or x-mas present! Search hi and low and find the one that appeals to you most! The search is a big part of the fun.
Sounds like your on the right track but DO NOT be afraid of it! Go Get Um!!!

69383RR

Reaction score
All true and duly noted, but some of us don't want a ten year project on our hands :acme:
I thought my rr was in pretty good shape when I got her , found out otherwise when we took her apart . The project is over two years now and that's without replacing any sheet metal , floors an such . I have a good welder but replacing quarter panels is beyond my capabilities . I think that's why a lot of guys are looking for that sweet spot if you will . Not to expensive , not to rusty .

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I don't think anyone wants a 10 year (or more) project, but real life often says otherwise. and after having two cars get skins on, if you are a decent welder, it's not that hard. measure 3 or 4 times, double check body lines,and take your time.

69383RR

Reaction score
So Dave are you speaking from personal experience , replacing the skins yourself ? I might try floor pans and maybe the trunk floor but I think the quarter panel skins , roof and such would require more experience then what I possess . But who knows , I keep surprising myself with this car with things that have turned out pretty good that I didn't think I should attempt .

Last edited:
Back