• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decided to upgrade..440

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
So before I even finished building the 383 I have decided to just go with a 440. Parts are cheaper and I'll reach my goal easier with the extra cubes... besides who doesn't want to say they have a 440 under the hood? :drive:

photo7.jpg
ignore the messy garage... 440's on the right.
photo5.jpg
anyways the pistons are the opposite of domes (can't think of the word) so I'd like to replace them (rest of the engine looks good it hasn't had many miles since being rebuilt and the cylinder walls look clean no damage so I'm looking for standard bore pistons and wondering what you guys suggest. I was looking at the speed pro TRW forged pistons, but I just don't know... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Pro-TRW-D ... 953wt_1037
Anyways thanks,
~Nick

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
440 IS THE WAY TO GO :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .....horsepower :groucho:
Sure is, parts are cheaper lol. Everyone told me the 440 was the way to make lots of power. Probably just going to change the pistons (you can see in the first pic), clean up these 906 heads, run a larger cam, rpm performer intake and see what she runs. Then work on other things until I want to go faster.

moparchris

Reaction score
Try the KB pistons unless you plan on using nitrous. The piston should be flush with the deck, which is called zero deck. Also dont forget to balance the rotating assembly. That runs about $150.

Steve

Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
So before I even finished building the 383 I have decided to just go with a 440. Parts are cheaper and I'll reach my goal easier with the extra cubes... besides who doesn't want to say they have a 440 under the hood?
:yeathat:

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I have looked at KB pistons but I'm sort of keeping an open mind on nos.... you know for down the road when I decide to go faster... but I'm still not sure. What would be the benefits to KB over the forged speedpros?

mcmopar

Reaction score
If I were planning on nitrious I'd go with the forged units. They are stronger without question. Hypereutetic pistons are ok for a street car by most standards (I still would not use them) but for a nitrous setup I would not be comfortable with them. But that is just me.

moparchris

Reaction score
I used an NOS big shot set to 350 hp for a total of 900 hp for one season of heads up racing and never hurt the piston. They are an excellent piston and well worth the money. They are way stronger than cast pistons and light which forged aren't. I would not recommend a hyper piston to a beginner. However I would not use a heavy forged piston like speed pro or trw. SRPs made by JE are a great option. They are very light forged piston and cost only 600.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hypers ARE cast pistons. They just have a higher silicon content. They are cheaper than forged because it's cheaper to cast metal than to forge it.

For my money I'll take a set of Wiseco forged units any day of the week. Been using them for years and NEVER had a problem. :cents:

mcmopar

Reaction score
The higher silicon content makes them weaker, too. I saw a comparison test a few years back that showed the strength of the pistons. The hypers disintegrated long before the forged units. It was very ugly. The hypers have come a long way since then but still are no match for forged pistons if you plan on making serious power IMO.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm looking at the pistons you guys have suggested are there any big difference? and 350 shot of nitrous..nice, I am looking in the neighborhood of 100-150 if I do spray.

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Hypers ARE cast pistons. They just have a higher silicon content. They are cheaper than forged because it's cheaper to cast metal than to forge it.

For my money I'll take a set of Wiseco forged units any day of the week. Been using them for years and NEVER had a problem. :cents:

Stop yelling sheesh. :pot: No one ever said they weren't.

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
ACME A12 said:

:basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
ACME A12 said:

Who's yelling? I was just being emphatic. I only yell when you're driving while eating and texting with your baseball cap on and thanking Bob for the hamburger that I bought and calling me sir instead of him even though he's older... :basketcase:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:
[quote="ACME A12":37mv3eya]Hypers ARE cast pistons. They just have a higher silicon content. They are cheaper than forged because it's cheaper to cast metal than to forge it.

Who's yelling? I was just being emphatic. I only yell when you're driving while eating and texting with your baseball cap on and thanking Bob for the hamburger that I bought and calling me sir instead of him even though he's older... :basketcase:

:jester:[/quote:37mv3eya]
WTF now I'm yelling :lol:

Back