• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decoding help on 1968 hemi roadrunner

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Some of the stuff I have figured out.. Left to right like RM 23 on bottom roll is a 2door HT.....then I have 73 ?? ,in same line,then a 5 that tells me it is 3spd auto,next set of #s is 45 ??
and then 629 ??...That's all I have come up with so far..

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sorry, didn't know that. Maybe fill out your car's info in your signature?
Year One used to have the fender tag info in the front of their catalogs.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the link for the '67-'68 FT Decoder. It is a PITA to use however...just fair warning... You have to count the spaces to get the letters/numbers to line up perfectly or it will just yield gobbledy-gook. Took me several tries to get it to work for the wife's '68 GTS 'vert.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=85

Reaction score
73 is Hemi engine
45 is tires
629 is June 29th 1968 scheduled production date

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
73 is Hemi engine
45 is tires
629 is June 29th 1968 scheduled production date
Thank You So Much...Could you please decode these #s and letters ...near the bottom of plate on left side.under the 123,the #s are 950......then under the AX is a 48......then under TRM is a H4X Thanks Abunch for the Help!!!! Sammy

Reaction score
The 950 codes is trim and I’m a bit unclear on them so take these as most likely.
what I derive is:
9 sill molding
5 drip rail molding
0 belt line molding,

The 48 is 323 sure grip
H4X is interior trim code.
H high trim level
4 vinyl split bench
X black

Tires 45 code is -F-70/15 redline speedway nylon

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this fender tag represents,,it was placed right next to the normal fender tag on a 1968 hemi roadrunner hardtop??

68 road runner blue132_zpsa1px26id.jpg

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
The 950 codes is trim and I’m a bit unclear on them so take these as most likely.
what I derive is:
9 sill molding
5 drip rail molding
0 belt line molding,

The 48 is 323 sure grip
H4X is interior trim code.
H high trim level
4 vinyl split bench
X black

Tires 45 code is -F-70/15 redline speedway nylon
Mr 4134....U r awesome, A Real Mopar Man.Now if u can just figure out why this car has, not one but two fender tags,I will be Forever Grateful .THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR EFFORTS!!!

Reaction score
The other one is not a fender tag, even though it’s on that format. It doesn’t go under hood by the rear fender tag. It went under the carpet on the drivers side in 1967 Hemi cars. I bought a gtx from and older man who owned it since the 70’s and I new the car and it wasnt any kind of a fake. When I took the carpet out there was that tag. I was told by knowledgeable people that’s where the factory put it.

It was never under hood by the real fender tag.

I don’t know if 68 even had them or not. Many changes for 68 like the vIn moved to the dash, the certicard moved from the under hood pouch to the owners manual, fender tag differences, etc.

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah...I guess but before I pul the trigger I would like to know as much as possible about what I'm really getting...:lol:
Actually I was poking fun at Basketcase who was asking for more info on your car...but I can see your angle as well... :D

Back