• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

degreeing a cam

mac

What ?
Reaction score
has anyone degreed a cam while the engine is in the car? what size and better yet what vendor makes a degree wheel that will mount well to the engine. i still have my doubts as to whether the cam was installed correctly and now i am going to collect the tools needed to do this properly in the spring.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've had a 11" Moroso wheel I've had since the beginning of time. As I remember, I had to drill out the center to fit the 3/4" crankshaft bolt, but I think the newer ones are already that size and have bushings to space it down to the smaller bolts.

Jegs has one the looks pretty good. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81622/10002/-1

IIRC, I used mine while the engine was in the car a couple times.

For the rest of the equipment, you can get a cheap magnetic base at Harbor Freight. Its usually best to have a 1" travel dial indicator. Myself, I would try to find a used Federal, Brown & Sharpe, Starrett etc., but you can get by with a cheapy Chinese one too.

You'll need a TDC piston stop too.

Back