• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diff. Oil/Friction Additive

TOMRR

Reaction score
I will be changing the oil in my 69RR 8 3/4 3:55 Sure Grip this winter and I notice that every auto parts store I went to, the oil all said limited slip , I have always used basic 80/90 and added the friction additive , Just wondering should I used this and still add the Friction additive ??

Thanks Tom C.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Ended up stopping at a Napa and found some 80/90 with out Limit Slip in it, Would prefer to add my own !!

Coyote

Reaction score
I've had good luck in my Brand "C" AutoX car (driven everywhere) with a Dana 60, Brand "F" Lightning with 183,000 miles (tons of it towing) both limited slip, just using Lucas gear oil. It states that NO additive is needed. If you feel more comfortable with an additive, go for it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've had good luck in my Brand "C" AutoX car (driven everywhere) with a Dana 60, Brand "F" Lightning with 183,000 miles (tons of it towing) both limited slip, just using Lucas gear oil. It states that NO additive is needed. If you feel more comfortable with an additive, go for it.

You have my curiosity piqued.... Do you have pics of the AutoX car? We used to run a Neon ACR back a few years ago.

Dana 60.... Heavy axle for a car built for that use and it would seem like a lot of unsprung weight... unless.... C3 or C4 Corvette maybe?

Coyote

Reaction score
You have my curiosity piqued.... Do you have pics of the AutoX car? We used to run a Neon ACR back a few years ago.

Dana 60.... Heavy axle for a car built for that use and it would seem like a lot of unsprung weight... unless.... C3 or C4 Corvette maybe?

One of Quikbirds posts from the Col's GG Nats had it in the background, he pointed it out. Before I had my MOPAR, the '55 was the only toy except for skiboat and bicycles. I drag raced the '55 a WHOLE LOT. I went through three '55-'64 third members. This was with touring radials. NOT drag radials or 200 treadwear AutoX tires.

Car was sitting busted and I went to the MOPAR Nats with Quikbird. DTS was there. I threw a credit card at them and said: "Build me a Dana 60 for a '55 Brand "C" with disc brakes. When it was completed I drove to suburban Detroit and hauled it back. I have done nothing to it for about 10 years except change the lube and put longer wheel studs in when I was using spacers.

Not one moment of worry, I drive the car everywhere, AutoX (22 passes at Raleigh, NC GG), AutoX with Miatas at a suburban Go-Kart Track, drag race, tours, cruise, Tri 5 Nats AutoX, drags (Bowling,Green KY).

Car scales at 3,200. Almost EXACTLY 50/50 weight distribution. No front bumper, glass one piece nose. Still has rear seat for hauling grandkids, NO CAGE, it's a for real Sunday School street car!

At GG events, I'm usually mid pack in Street Machine class. I'm running against primarily pony cars and vettes. Some of them flog their cars to death to try and get in front of me. NOBODY has more fun than I do! If daughter shows up anytime soon, I'll get some photos up. I didn't put them up, it's a MOPAR site. I'm also on Tri5.com as 55sam. The Dana was not originally put in for AutoX, but it flat out works without me worrying about breakage with a small block!

p.s. Two years ago I did move the springs inboard and welded new perches on it. BULLETPROOF!

Last edited:

Big John

Reaction score
One of Quikbirds posts from the Col's GG Nats had it in the background, he pointed it out. Before I had my MOPAR, the '55 was the only toy except for skiboat and bicycles. I drag raced the '55 a WHOLE LOT. I went through three '55-'64 third members. This was with touring radials. NOT drag radials or 200 treadwear AutoX tires.

Car was sitting busted and I went to the MOPAR Nats with Quikbird. DTS was there. I threw a credit card at them and said: "Build me a Dana 60 for a '55 Brand "C" with disc brakes. When it was completed I drove to suburban Detroit and hauled it back. I have done nothing to it for about 10 years except change the lube and put longer wheel studs in when I was using spacers.

Not one moment of worry, I drive the car everywhere, AutoX (22 passes at Raleigh, NC GG), AutoX with Miatas at a suburban Go-Kart Track, drag race, tours, cruise, Tri 5 Nats AutoX, drags (Bowling,Green KY).

Car scales at 3,200. Almost EXACTLY 50/50 weight distribution. No front bumper, glass one piece nose. Still has rear seat for hauling grandkids, NO CAGE, it's a for real Sunday School street car!

At GG events, I'm usually mid pack in Street Machine class. I'm running against primarily pony cars and vettes. Some of them flog their cars to death to try and get in front of me. NOBODY has more fun than I do! If daughter shows up anytime soon, I'll get some photos up. I didn't put them up, it's a MOPAR site. I'm also on Tri5.com as 55sam. The Dana was not originally put in for AutoX, but it flat out works without me worrying about breakage with a small block!

p.s. Two years ago I did move the springs inboard and welded new perches on it. BULLETPROOF!

I always wanted to do AutoX with some sort of an older car, but it wouldn't fit in with our local guys at all. As it was, I think we were the only ones with an American car most of the time. I have a friend that runs a Dart in some sort of vintage class in the Delaware area. Nothing like that here.

We did pretty well with the Neon. My son often won class and won the overall once too... which was quite the accomplishment given the competition.

John.jpg

Note the air under the rear tire.

We used to run my C-4 Corvette at the occasional Corvette only event. We did OK with it, but there was no prep except pumping the tires up. My son usually managed a second though... and I was further down the list.

We stopped when life got in the way and just never felt the desire to get back into it.

Coyote

Reaction score
Our local Goodguys Rodders rep. made a pass with me and said: "That's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on". I have an absolute circus. People at the Miata event (they welcome everything) that had never seen it run before (I as only able to make the last one of the year/too many events) could not believe it. Usually they have a slalom set up on the long straight. This event only had one cone, I was able to grab second gear. Impressed the troops!

Air under the tire is great!

Coyote

Reaction score
Durn things are like the Mexican Jumping Cones. They leap directly in front of my rear tires while I'm negotiating turns! I had the top time this year too. Just couldn't make another pass without the lights. HARUMPH!

Coyote

Reaction score
Tri-5 Nationals Winner Circle.jpg

Daughter came over, I think we've got a pic up. One of these days, might figger out how to upload gopro stuff. KOOL passes on video

Tri-5 Nationals Winner Circle.jpg

Coyote

Reaction score
Great pic. Better stories. :cheers:

Glad you enjoy(ed)! It is a MOPAR site, I luv 'em all, but the '55 is really wicked. I'm very proud of what it can do (14 years of assorted modifications, 5 engines, and a ton of $). RB for Satellite is still in the works. We just had a MOPAR swap meet at the state fairgrounds last Sat. My 440 Source heads are taking a trip for some cnc work. I need to get some funds together. Xmas for grandkids, first of year bills and stuff coming too.

The machine work was quite impressive on a similar set that were there. The machinist was there and didn't seem to have a line of BS, kinda like the real deal. The difference between 400hp and 600hp on a mild street 440. for a grand. Maybe a little optimistic, but from the way they looked not much!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you enjoy(ed)! It is a MOPAR site, I luv 'em all, but the '55 is really wicked.

There are quite a few of us on here that have a multi-make fleet, or are at least appreciative of other makes. For me personally, the old MoPars are my first love, but we also have a couple of later model Mustangs (a BOSS 302 and a GT500), and a '67 Malibu to go with the RR, the Swinger, the SS/T, and the Dusters. At some point I'd really like to add a Rebel Machine to the fleet just to really cover all of the odd bases. :lol:

Coyote

Reaction score
If you want a Rebel machine, it'd probably behoove you to grab the next decent one that comes up for sale. Prices are going through the roof for the nice ones. Very limited production of an "orphan"car. I've always thought they were just about as KOOL as anything out there. "A" and "B" paint schemes, serious 390, very neat package and they are now legitimate for the MOPAR Nats. New performance stuff available from Edlebrock and Indy too. Thanks to Jeep for being part of the MOPAR family now!

Just musing, wonder when Willys (gassers, etc) are going to come to the MOPAR family too. Ancestral vehicles too!

Multi make? Yeah! 2010 Camaro SS, '93 Lightning (daily drivers). The '55, the Satelite, and a '74 Elky for toys (and the very real possibility of a '39 Dodge coupe). No wonder I'm always broke!

Last edited:

Big John

Reaction score
Just musing, wonder when Willys (gassers, etc) are going to come to the MOPAR family too. Ancestral vehicles too!

I keep waiting for a Fiat or Mercedes to show up at a Mopar show. I saw a Nash Metropolitan at one this summer.

Coyote

Reaction score
I keep waiting for a Fiat or Mercedes to show up at a Mopar show. I saw a Nash Metropolitan at one this summer.

That means Fiats, Alfas, Ferraris. Lancias. It'll be an Italian concours with Benz trucks too!

Big John

Reaction score
That means Fiats, Alfas, Ferraris. Lancias. It'll be an Italian concours with Benz trucks too!

Chrysler did own Lamborgini for a while too.

Back