• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dimmer switch only works on high beams...stumped!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Got on the bird yesterday and discovered that here in the desert that it takes a huge toll on battery's and anything rubber. That said,went and had the 2year old NAPA battery tested and it had a dead cell. A new battery from Interstate took care of that. Now the goofy part,the floor dimmer switch will only function on the high beam click of the switch and not to the low side. Went and got another switch tried it and the same thing happened,also hooked the 3-wires up as found on the old switch and high beam only....anybody have some ideas of where to look on this one,maybe another switch?
Thanks!

droptop

Reaction score
Had the same issue with my 71. Wound up being the light switch in the dash. Changed it out and problem went away.

woodwiz

Reaction score
A little more backround on this issue: Like i said before the car would'nt start so i used the emergency jumper battery to see if it would help,as it turned out it helped somewhat. In hindsight now knowing i had a bad cell in the battery that is why the car had a hard time turning over. starter kept clicking but i managed to get her to fire. Once running and revving the gas the dome light bulb popped and with the headlights on low beam they also went dark as their was a audible pop sound,so i just assumed the low beam bulbs went bad. But clicking the floor dimmer both sets came on as the high beam circuit. Could that pop sound have been in the floor switch or main switch?
Don't want to run down another main switch and have it still occur. All the wiring at the foot switch looks like brand new at some point of restoration. The low beams have always worked as they should till now!.....More help please!

Back