• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake conversion weight savings?

Anthony

1968 Road Runner
Reaction score
Has anyone who converted from Front Drum brakes to Disc, determined a weight savings?
I know a mute point to some from a purely performance standpoint, but I am trying to decide which project area to concentrate this winter.

THANKS! Beep Beep

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
On most conversions drum brakes weigh less. Not sure about 11" though it might be a toss up.

Last edited:

dmartin

Reaction score
Has anyone who converted from Front Drum brakes to Disc, determined a weight savings?
I know a mute point to some from a purely performance standpoint, but I am trying to decide which project area to concentrate this winter.

THANKS! Beep Beep
A cheap way to go is go to the salvage yard get the front disc assembly for a 1985 Chrysler 5th Avenue turn the rotors put new ball joints on it but everything bolts right up no problem you just have to get the rubber lines for the 5th Avenue I mean that’s what I did some may not like going that route but I’m cheap and can’t afford that Milwood stuff

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yea junk yard parts' are fine. As the expense and work involved in going Disc. it makes changing the pad's quicker than doing drum's. Like I said before drum brakes stopped these car's just fine for all those years. It was not the brakes that failed it was they where just going to fast. It is all in what a guy's want's to have and spend his money on. I would rather put the money in the motor. Good luck Anthony have fun. :beep:

Anthony

1968 Road Runner
Reaction score
WoW!! I had no idea the 5th Avenue rotor's would fit!! That is just crazy. Now I have something else to 'source' for my baby.
I agree, the manual drum brakes stop it fine. But I actually have trouble holding my car back during a power brake. -grin
Curious they don't save weight.
Kind of anxious to see what my yards will charge me for those parts.. Stay Tuned!!

Beep Beep !!

Back