• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this sound legit?

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
I found a 1969 Road Runner for sale on Automotive Classifieds. The car looks sweet and I am very interested in it. The ad says the car is located in Washington D.C. and I am about 50 miles away, so no problem there. When I contacted the seller, he replied back that he is a Marine currently deployed in Kuwait and is using a shipping company to handle the sale of the vehicle for him. He tells me that the car is in Wisconsin even though it is advertised as being in D.C.. He goes on to say that if I want to buy it I would pay the shipping company and the money would go into an escrow account. The shipping company would then ship the car to me and I would have up to 7 days to decide whether I want to keep it or not. If I decide that I don't want the car, the shipping company would come out and pick it up from my home and return my money. This seems to be an obvious scam to me. Has anyone on this forum been in the military or currently in the military? Is this a commen way that soldiers deployed outside of the U.S. sell their vehicles? I've never heard of this practice and am highly suspicious. The link to the ad is below along with the email response I received from the seller. I want to believe this is legit because I love the car. Has anyone purchased a car this way before?

Response from seller:
Hi,

I bought the car 3 years ago and I am selling it because I signed new contract. I will be deployed most of the time so I won't have time to enjoy it.
Fully Restored '69. Freshly sprayed in blue, it's hard to keep your eyes off of it. Inside, the new black interior aims to please with no rips or tears. Powered by a 440ci v8 with a 4bbl and 727 torqueflight automatic transmission, performance nor reliability will be of any concern. Features include but are not limited to a high rise intake, ceramic coated headers, R/T console, solid motor mounts, Good glass, good tires and wheels as well as Decent chrome. This is a very solid car that runs strong and drives good.

The vehicle is located in Superior, WI at the shipping company, who will intermediate the transaction for us. This is the safest and fastest way for both of us. It is a very intuitive and well-known method for selling vehicles:
Step 1) The payment is deposited in an escrow account, belonging to the company.
Step2) You receive the vehicle, title, 2 keys and all the service history records. You will have 7 days to check and inspect the vehicle and its documents.
Step 3) After the 7 days you have to make a decision:
- You keep the vehicle and the money is released from the Escrow to me.
- You decline the vehicle, the transaction gets canceled. The vehicle is being picked up from your door and returned to the warehouse. All your money is refunded back to you.
Because I know this vehicle is in pristine condition, I will pay entirely for delivery and for return, in case you decline to purchase it. So there are no headaches for you. It is like buying a vehicle locally, the only difference is that you get the chance to drive it for 7 days before final buy.

Please let me know what you decide!
Thank you.

HM3 (FMF) Bobbie, Powell
Senior Medical Representative Bravo Company SWBM
1st Battalion, 5th Marines
1st Marine Division

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are right to be highly suspicious. Price is too low for a car that nice and I have never, ever heard anyone in the military say they "signed a new contract". You either re-up or you reenlist. Find out who the shipping company is and then find out about them. This whole thing screams SCAM to me. JMHO.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
I think you are right to be highly suspicious. Price is too low for a car that nice and I have never, ever heard anyone in the military say they "signed a new contract". You either re-up or you reenlist. Find out who the shipping company is and then find out about them. This whole thing screams SCAM to me. JMHO.
Thanks kariverson. You are right about "signed a new contract " I didn't catch that.

Ranger

Reaction score
The vehicle is located in Superior, WI
This has scam written all over it, but just for fun, tell him that you have a friend in Superior Wi. that will inspect it and take pictures for you and ask for the location. Then sit back and watch all the reasons he comes up with why that is not an option.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
This has scam written all over it, but just for fun, tell him that you have a friend in Superior Wi. that will inspect it and take pictures for you and ask for the location. Then sit back and watch all the reasons he comes up with why that is not an option.
LOL I'll do that and post his response.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I found a 1969 Road Runner for sale on Automotive Classifieds. The car looks sweet and I am very interested in it. The ad says the car is located in Washington D.C. and I am about 50 miles away, so no problem there. When I contacted the seller, he replied back that he is a Marine currently deployed in Kuwait and is using a shipping company to handle the sale of the vehicle for him. He tells me that the car is in Wisconsin even though it is advertised as being in D.C.. He goes on to say that if I want to buy it I would pay the shipping company and the money would go into an escrow account. The shipping company would then ship the car to me and I would have up to 7 days to decide whether I want to keep it or not. If I decide that I don't want the car, the shipping company would come out and pick it up from my home and return my money. This seems to be an obvious scam to me. Has anyone on this forum been in the military or currently in the military? Is this a commen way that soldiers deployed outside of the U.S. sell their vehicles? I've never heard of this practice and am highly suspicious. The link to the ad is below along with the email response I received from the seller. I want to believe this is legit because I love the car. Has anyone purchased a car this way before?

Response from seller:
Hi,

I bought the car 3 years ago and I am selling it because I signed new contract. I will be deployed most of the time so I won't have time to enjoy it.
Fully Restored '69. Freshly sprayed in blue, it's hard to keep your eyes off of it. Inside, the new black interior aims to please with no rips or tears. Powered by a 440ci v8 with a 4bbl and 727 torqueflight automatic transmission, performance nor reliability will be of any concern. Features include but are not limited to a high rise intake, ceramic coated headers, R/T console, solid motor mounts, Good glass, good tires and wheels as well as Decent chrome. This is a very solid car that runs strong and drives good.

The vehicle is located in Superior, WI at the shipping company, who will intermediate the transaction for us. This is the safest and fastest way for both of us. It is a very intuitive and well-known method for selling vehicles:
Step 1) The payment is deposited in an escrow account, belonging to the company.
Step2) You receive the vehicle, title, 2 keys and all the service history records. You will have 7 days to check and inspect the vehicle and its documents.
- You decline the vehicle, the transaction gets canceled. The vehicle is being picked up from your door and returned to the warehouse. All your money is refunded back to you.
Because I know this vehicle is in pristine condition, I will pay entirely for delivery and for return, in case you decline to purchase it. So there are no headaches for you. It is like buying a vehicle locally, the only difference is that you get the chance to drive it for 7 days before final buy.

Thank you.

HM3 (FMF) Bobbie, Powell
1st Marine Division
A 69 Road Runner completely restored for 17 K? Ya not going to happen. A HM3 is a Hospital Corpsman 3rd class which is a Navy designation for an E-4 I wasn't in the Marines or Navy, I was Army. We didn't sign contracts, we re-enlisted. This does not pass the sniff test. Nothing adds up, it has to be a scam.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Big time scam. I was looking for one a few years ago. I contacted the email and it was a lady who said it was her husbands car that had died. I asked if I could come look at it. She then told me she was moving out of town and shipping company was handling the sale and delivery. Craigslist scam.

Last edited:

IT'S DYNAMITE

Reaction score
7 Norridgewock Ave. Skowhegan Maine 04976

Response from seller:
Hi,

Thank you.

HM3 (FMF) Bobbie, Powell
1st Marine Division
YOU CANNOT RUN FAST ENOUGH TO GET AWAY FROM THESE BULLSHIT SCAMS!!!! I went through this last year when trying to buy a 1957 300C for my collection. I was approached by 5 different people all with the same car pictured and the picture of the title that I asked for was identical to all five but had the name on the title for the person I was in touch with. I also asked for their driver license picture ,which they emailed and finally I called their bluff by having a member of the 300 club, who was in their state go to the home pictured, (which I looked up on google earth and neither the person or the car were at that address. I am 78 years old with a large collection and have seen this so many times it is sickening. If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Dominick Rinaldi
IHRA B/SA former record holder (2012) 1964 Plymouth 426 MaxWedge BelvedereWagon

MoparDan

Reaction score
YOU CANNOT RUN FAST ENOUGH TO GET AWAY FROM THESE BULLSHIT SCAMS!!!! I went through this last year when trying to buy a 1957 300C for my collection. I was approached by 5 different people all with the same car pictured and the picture of the title that I asked for was identical to all five but had the name on the title for the person I was in touch with. I also asked for their driver license picture ,which they emailed and finally I called their bluff by having a member of the 300 club, who was in their state go to the home pictured, (which I looked up on google earth and neither the person or the car were at that address. I am 78 years old with a large collection and have seen this so many times it is sickening. If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Dominick Rinaldi
Dominick, First welcome to the site. You are probably #11 in the list of "this is a scam". We're waiting for the "sellers" response to a friend lives there and will come to look at it. Hopefully we can have a little fun with this a-hole.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Dominick Rinaldi
Hi Dominick, Thanks for sharing your recent experience. I'd like to think that there is a special place in Hell for people who perpetrate these scams. BTW Did you ever find the 57 300C you were looking for? I know this is a Road Runner forum, but I sure would appreciate seeing a pic!

Mr. Milba

Reaction score

Response from seller:
Hi,

Thank you.

HM3 (FMF) Bobbie, Powell
1st Marine Division
SCAM!!!!!!

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
I wanted to post an update that I had resonded to the scammer and never received a reply. I guess he saw that I was onto him. This was what I had sent him.

‐-‐--‐----------------------‐-------
Hey Bobbie,

I just spoke to a friend of mine who happens to live 20 minutes outside of Superior Wisconsin and told me that he would love to take pictures and inspect the car for me. He's a big Road Runner fan and I trust his opinion. This way we can avoid the expense for you to ship it to me and have it shipped back if I'm not satisfied. Brilliant right? Email the shipping company name and address as well as a contact if you have one. This is so cool, I'm really excited! Hope to hear back from you soon.

Mike
-----------------------------------

So the search continues for a 1969 Road Runner!

Thank you to everyone who responded. Great bunch of folks on this forum.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Their all over the place now days. Beware. Had one do the same thing telling me he was deployed in England in the Army. The car was in Miami Fl. I live in central Fl. It was supposed to be in a hangar at an airport. Asked if I could go and see it. He told me now way to get the people to let me in to check it out. Yes, wanted money sent to escrow company. Event talked to him on the phone. Something did not smell right. So did my research and called the FBI on this one. They said that they had been trying to find this guy for years. He is hiding somewhere in England. So the jerk called me after backing out of going forward and proceeded to tell me how much money I cost him on letting another deal go by because he thought I was going to buy the car. Now found another one overseas would ship to me. I was searching the web of runners and found the same car in the same garage in Georgia. Contacted the guy and he said the car was not for sale and wondered where I found it for sale. Told him and he said he was going to get on this and find out how this could happen. They steel our car's pic's if we post them anywhere the hack it up to put into an ad for sale. What a bunch of scum bag's they are. If you can't go and look at the car Then that is the first clue. Shipping companies don't work this way. One of my friend's had a race car for sale and a man sent him cashers check and the truck driver would come and pick it up. He got the check and went to the bank before the truck driver showed up. The bank said the check was not Ligget. The bank it was drawn on did not exist. I found my car on Racing Junk. Com. Local guy had it and could go and look at it. Bought it for 7 grand. then put 40 K into it too restore the car. Good luck on the search and there are good people out their selling their car's just having to weed them out.

James Kelly Heaton

Old Runner Lover. Building a 68 6.4 Hemi TR6060
Reaction score
Hi Dominick, Thanks for sharing your recent experience. I'd like to think that there is a special place in Hell for people who perpetrate these scams. BTW Did you ever find the 57 300C you were looking for? I know this is a Road Runner forum, but I sure would appreciate seeing a pic!
In addition to the 68 Road Runner post project, I have a 61 Chrysler Newport Coupe I cruise around. Updated it to 440 steel crank, aluminum heads and intake, 833 4 spd, 489 8.75 case with 323 posi and 4 wheel disc brakes. I've been told they used the Newport bodies for the 300s because it was shorter/lighter than the New Yorkers. Its fugly with he canted headlights and Last Chrysler with fins. Not going to see another at a car show (especially if it rains).

20200313_115120.jpg

20200313_115200.jpg

20200313_115239.jpg

20200313_115310.jpg

Back