• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drivetrain advice and opinion

JoeGlemont

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Any and all advice is recommended. I just bought a rolling chassie and the suspension work has already been converted but I'm getting different opinions on which way I should go for the drive train. One friend is telling me to think about Cleveland performance where they give you a full power train on a pallet and another 1 tells me to look at companies like blueprint engines for crate. I want An awesome drive train that I can enjoy and although I don't feel like I'm gonna sell this car. If I did, I want to make sure it's something different and unique. Another option is these hellcat drivetrains I see for 7500.00 bucks. It's going to be all new and I have a pretty decent budget so please tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes...pros and cons of a used hellcat. Thanks so much. Car is real solid

Resized_20220429_074317(1).jpeg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

"suspension work has already been converted". Converted to what?

Might help if you outlined what your target objectives are in terms of performance and frequency of use. Your initial volley here is kind of open-ended... "different and unique" could mean just about anything. A Packard V-1650 Merlin would fit this bill, but I suspect that is not what you're aiming for so give us a little bit more to go on.

JoeGlemont

Reaction score
Great response. The leaf springs are all gone and it's been converted to modern suspension and rack and pinion steering. See attached pic.
I would drive it locally, go to car shows, ice cream with my kids etc. Not looking to race the car but if I get on it, I want it to scream and have fun. Different and unique would apply more to the powertrain. I have my color scheme kind of figured out and meband my body are going ro have some fun with that. I was thinking a hellcat drivetrain would be cool and something a little more different than other powertrains but I don't know a lot of other options and I would prefer something new over something that was taken out of a crashed car...which I'm sure can be fine....but new is new.

I'm thinking a muscle car lime green color combo of some sort. I want a cool green color of some sort. I'm open to any suggestions you all might have as well.

I want the car to always start and have some modern conveniences....a restomod that I can take anywhere. Hope that helps you help me...lol.

Resized_20220502_150714(1).jpeg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Lot of question's and I don't have many answers. Except to build it like you want it. Lot of Horsepower out of a 440. Put two double pumpers on it with mid intake. What motor is in it now. Go electronic ignition in steed of points. Guess you could put a Hell cat in it but don't know on the room in the engine bay. May have to cut the fire wall and adapt the tunnel too make things work. Is it a four-speed car or automatic now? Just getting the feel of the car.

quikbird

Reaction score
There are several companies that have “ kits” to put a gen 3 hemi in a roadrunner. You have an 8 3/4 rear end. Don’t know gear ratio from you yet. Fairly tough rear end but there is a reason they put Dana 60’s behind hemis in the day. Remember newer engines require significant work on wiring harnesses and sensors as well as transmission integration

JoeGlemont

Reaction score
Wow..these responses are great. There is no motor, no trans, and all the guts are pretty much gone. No wiring harness. All will be new so it's a blank slate.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. IMHO It is your car and what engine/transmission package you go to is completely up to you. That being said. A used Hellcat is a crap shoot. If it is used it was most likely in a wreck, so how badly was it abused? I am kind of a purest. When I see an open hood on a nice MOPAR and walk up and if I see an other than period correct engine, it is a little disappointing. If I see any LS I turn around and puke on the ground. But it is up to you. I see you have an 8 3/4. May want to keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you do.
It doesn't even have to be "one of one".
Think about this:
All cars are unique. (Really in the true definition of the word)
And all children are special.

Admittedly, I'm biased toward the original designed suspension.
("Biased", get it? As in tires.)
I feel I'm in good company since both Ehrenburg and UT are of the same opinion.
I'm also someone that has been daily driving them as designed for the last 25 years in "the real world" to work, etc.
That being said, the car looks very nice and the first thing I would do is get the original suspension back under it.
Do a Dana instead of the more common 8 3/4 while you are at it to cover all the extra power bases down the road you are planning.
Oh, I left off Larry Shepherd.
Name drop.

1659786709027.png
Back in the day, every auto manufacturer had beautiful bodies and incredible engines, but only Chrysler fitted it's cars with a standard suspension born to go fast.

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
Coil over and 4 link are fine. Sorry rapid. Will disagree slightly with you there. Just put that type setup under my runner. What did they do for the front end? Do you want a stick or an automatic? Basic questions can get you going in the right direction.

cosgig

Reaction score
I guess my question to you would be…..are you looking for the feeling of driving a modern car, but having the looks of a classic? The modern suspension upgrades are fine if you plan on going around corners in a spirited manner, but it loses the feel of driving a classic. So, to that end, if you like the feeling of driving a modern car, go with a modern drivetrain. Find a Hellcat motor, use the guidance of those who have put them into a B body, and motor on happily ever after.

Myself? I’m in the hobby because I like the feel of driving a classic car the way they came, I like the feel of the road, the whistling of the wind through the windlace, the sheer feel of a mechanized machine that is barely tameable by todays standards. That’s just me, so I have a 70 6bbl 4 speed Roadrunner with manual steering and manual drum brakes, and I enjoy every second behind the wheel. Look inside yourself, and decide what you like the best, and enjoy getting to your destination, both with the car and in the car. If you follow your heart, you will always be proud to open the hood and show off what YOU love about your car.

5454CC36-476A-48AC-88C6-DD2DB8DC47E8.png

A7209171-FF65-4C67-A41A-9FBE11884648.jpeg

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Coil over and 4 link are fine. Sorry rapid. Will disagree slightly with you there. Just put that type setup under my runner. What did they do for the front end? Do you want a stick or an automatic? Basic questions can get you going in the right direction.

I don't think we disagree.
It's just an opinion.
I told him what I would do if it was me, based on the limited information.
Who put that set up in the car?
Is it well done?
Is it welded in? I can't tell or inspect the soundness of the system.
How much HP is he going to have. (Sounds like a lot)
A coil over 4 link may be fine for some, but I'm wondering.
What's the advantage of leaving the current set up in the car other than money?
Many people do question the ability of an 8 3/4 to handle more power. (I'm not one of them, necessarily)
Some people put the Ford 9 inch in reasons important only to them..
Cost, availability?
Didn't Chrysler specify a Dana with a 440 or Hemi 4 speed?
In fact, you mentioned that Dana option in post 5.
I think he indicates money will be spent on this project.
A complete, new rear just like Chrysler designed it can be bought without taking something out of a "crashed car".
And we know it will handle what he puts in the car.
That's simply the way I would go.
I'm conservative.
He says he doesn't "feel" like he is going to sell the car.
But what if he does?
Will it be a Foose or a FUBAR to the next person?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Putting 6 leaf 2- and 1/2-inch recurve springs on mine seems to make the car handle to the point don't need a torsion bar back there. This gave me the look of jacking up the back of the car. No air shocks to bleed down on me. LOL. If he is building a drag car or just a driver, then there is a lot of things to do. Wish I had put frame stiffeners on my car when building it. But figured I was not going to be drag racing. So, hope he gets enough info from everyone on here to get where he wants to be with the car. Hope he post pics of what he comes up with on the build.

quikbird

Reaction score
Just a thought, powernation has a couple series you might find interesting, one is a charger they did and another is a roadrunner with a third gen hemi. Called road burner

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Putting 6 leaf 2- and 1/2-inch recurve springs on mine seems to make the car handle to the point don't need a torsion bar back there. This gave me the look of jacking up the back of the car. No air shocks to bleed down on me. LOL. If he is building a drag car or just a driver, then there is a lot of things to do. Wish I had put frame stiffeners on my car when building it. But figured I was not going to be drag racing. So, hope he gets enough info from everyone on here to get where he wants to be with the car. Hope he post pics of what he comes up with on the build.

I would not regret it.
I put frame connectors in a Charger.
If I knew then what I know now , I would not have done it.
Heavy, welding upside down and not what Chrysler ever put in verts or Hemi cars.
They put torque boxes in them instead.
I also would have put boxes in the Runner I'm building. May do it down the road anyway
Again, knowing what I know now.

UT's buddy Kiwi is doing boxes in his Barracuda drag car.
I like to say "I know what I'm doing. I've just never done this before " about things.
That's where listening to other people's knowledge is good.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
The General Mayhem from roadkill got the hellcat treatment. Admittedly, it was turned into a drag car, but it got totally chopped up to receive the powertrain, and even more chopped up to make use of the factory harness and controls. I would think putting a hellcat into an older Mopar (nicely) would require substantially more than just the initial $7500.
I was lucky enough to drive a hellcat Challenger for 4 days while on my honeymoon a couple years back in Hawaii, and I dont recommend it to drivers who havent driven powerful cars, and learnt to respect that power. I can only imagine how that donk would feel in my roadrunner.
Im with MoparDan, Russ and Cosgig, theres plenty of fun power to be had from a well-sorted 440 or 383. 500 horsepower in a roadrunner is nothing to sneeze at. If you want to waive around the 1000hp+ dyno sheet to your mates, you could go any number of ways, but I also puke at the sight of an LS. Like Cosgig, im also running a 4 speed, manual drums and manual steering. Its not for everyone, but it sure is fun for me!

440 + 4 speed + Dana 60 = awesome drivetrain

MoparDan

Reaction score
The General Mayhem from roadkill got the hellcat treatment. Admittedly, it was turned into a drag car, but it got totally chopped up to receive the powertrain, and even more chopped up to make use of the factory harness and controls. I would think putting a hellcat into an older Mopar (nicely) would require substantially more than just the initial $7500.
I was lucky enough to drive a hellcat Challenger for 4 days while on my honeymoon a couple years back in Hawaii, and I dont recommend it to drivers who havent driven powerful cars, and learnt to respect that power. I can only imagine how that donk would feel in my roadrunner.
Im with MoparDan, Russ and Cosgig, theres plenty of fun power to be had from a well-sorted 440 or 383. 500 horsepower in a roadrunner is nothing to sneeze at. If you want to waive around the 1000hp+ dyno sheet to your mates, you could go any number of ways, but I also puke at the sight of an LS. Like Cosgig, im also running a 4 speed, manual drums and manual steering. Its not for everyone, but it sure is fun for me!

440 + 4 speed + Dana 60 = awesome drivetrain
Well said.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Good looking ride you have there. I guess I'm just a traditionalist myself. I have a 383 auto in mine and the previous owner put a Dana 60 under it. I'm into looks and that great Mopar sound. I don't care if it runs 60 mph. I have a 1300 hp drag car that takes care of the thrills. Good luck with whatever you choose for your Roadrunner.

Back