• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dull chrome

Steve

Reaction score
I've tried different chrome cleaners and plenty of elbow grease on the rear bumper but this one piece always looks like this.It's not scratched at all but has a dull finish.The rest gleams like new and is in great shape.Is there a way to improve it?

007-3.jpg

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Nothing can be done except to have it rechromed.

Sorry....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
over here in the rust belt we would call that new looking and thank the chrome gods.

Big John

Reaction score
Most likely that is in the chrome and not the nickel plate under the chrome. They may be able to just strip the chrome and redo that only.

That could save you some $$. Is there a good plating shop around?

Steve

Reaction score
There is,I'll look into it.I'll live with it though if it looks like costing too much £££s.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Steve. I just saw on a restoration show where they took aluminum foil and water and scrubbed the chrome

peresvet24

Reaction score
Steve. I do not know you heard anything about this "pasta goy" it works wonders, just do a search in Google and see the results

Big John

Reaction score
"Sliver adhesive warp film".......

Last edited:

jays69bird

Reaction score
I have had good luck with Eagle one and very fine steel wool over the years,my front bumper has never be rechromed ! But like Big John pointed out there is a point where you can't do anything more with it. Sometimes you are better off buying a complete rechromed one here in the states as chrome plating has gone out of sight,however in the UK I realize you have less options.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
It was only a suggestion. What the cars deserve, and what people can afford aren't always the same.

Well the way I look at it on my cars if I can't afford to do it correct I will wait till I can.:yesnod: :cents:

Back