• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock Vacuum Porting

RR383

Reaction score
1406.jpg

Gentlemen,
Edelbrock states you should use the slightly upper left vacuum port viewed from the front for ported vacuum distributors. And the lower right hand vacuum port for the trans modulator valve.
Please take a look at the attached picture. Does anything right off the bat strike you as incorrect. I'm very green when it comes to vacuum port connections and such. If you will notice my distributor is connected to the right side of the carb.
Is this correct or incorrect?
Further, does the 727 require a point of vacuum to shift as it should?

1406.jpg

Ranger

Reaction score
The lower (left) port is manifold vacuum. The upper (right) is ported vacuum. Manifold is full time vacuum. Ported is above the throttle plate and thus only has vacuum supply when the throttle plates are open (no advance at idle). It is an early form of emission control. Edelbrock preaches the politically correct tree hugger line. Leave it where it is. That's where mine is connected.

Now if your trans requires vacuum, then you may have to swap it or use the rear vacuum port for that, but I'm not familiar with the 727.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Then what activates the shift points in the 727?

Hydraulic line pressure in the trans. The line pressure is changed with speed (governor valve) and throttle position (throttle linkage). Your FSM has some descriptions of how this all ties together.

There are no vacuum lines to a 727. No electrical either, except for the neutral safety switch and the backup lights (69 and later).

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
This will help explain it.

[video=youtube;MXW0bx_Ooq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4[/video]

Back