• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eldebrock 600 cfm carb

RR383

Reaction score
Is this enough carb "cfm" that is for optimal performance on the 383? I certainly don't want to get crazy I've had other cars not Mopar sad to say that were dramatically mis-matched and all I did was jet and re-jet...and clean fouled plugs.
This Edlebrock carb is new out of the box. As some of you already know...I bought the car with this set-up.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It should work well.

Download the carb manuals from the Edelbock site if you haven't already.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think the original Carters of that era flowed about 580 so that would work.

Ranger

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 600 is "enough" carb. I'm trying to figure out if a 750 too much?

RR383

Reaction score
I'm getting ahead of myself here....I need to change out the master cylinder first and foremost before I take it out and open it up. The initial test drive was short to say the least....so the jury is still out. Also, not convinced that all the linkage from carb to trans is synced up.

Big John

Reaction score
I'm getting ahead of myself here....I need to change out the master cylinder first and foremost before I take it out and open it up. The initial test drive was short to say the least....so the jury is still out. Also, not convinced that all the linkage from carb to trans is synced up.

That really has to be right.

Open the throttle all the way and grab the trans linkage and push it towards the rear. There should be just a little travel.... Maybe a 1/16 to 1/8".

RR383

Reaction score
Wow...that's a minute amount of travel...well OK boss...this gives me something to check this weekend. Now when you say trans linkage...you're talking about the heavy slotted link coming from the (bell crank) at the back of the engine drivers side....correct?

Big John

Reaction score
Correct.

That is really just the amount of play in it at full throttle. When the throttle is closed, there should be enough play to let the throttle close all the way without hanging up.

There's a service manual in our reference section and you can download the PDF file. There's a section on how to adjust the linkage and it may help you understand.

http://www.69roadrunner.net/mopar/showthread.php?432-Manuals

quikbird

Reaction score
There is a formula to see the size of the carb needed. Cubic inch size of engine x max rpm divided by 3456.

383 x 6000 divided by 3456 = 664.93 So 600 should be close enough to be ok.

Big John

Reaction score
I had a mild brain fart yesterday and slipped back into "1969 Roadrunner mode" and forgot this is a 70 Roadrunner we're talking about. The 69 manual should be pretty much the same, but you should have a 70 as there are a few differences.

You can download one here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

RR383

Reaction score
Do the automatics require vacuum or mechanical secondaries? Something tells me from past experience it does make a difference.

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
I may have the wrong set-up its a Eldelbrock P/N 1406 600 cfm square flange electric choke unit. NOT....a vacuum secondary. And my gearing is 3.23 and I did notice stumble/bog during test drive. So, I'm going to place a call to Edelbrock early next week.

darm

Reaction score
Let us know what you find out my Carter AFB is stalling on take off and acts like it not getting enough fuel at about 50 mph?
I have been to busy doing body work to check it out
Thanks Don

A31PKG

Reaction score
AVS style carb used on your car was mechanical - as should be your Edelbrock. The Holley had vacuum secondarys. The Edelbrock carb is pretty "turn key" out of the box. Stumble/bog could be any number of things. Be sure to check for vacuum leaks, spark issues, fuel delivery, distributor operation, etc. What's your vacuum reading at idle?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Those carbs still used a counter weighted butterfly that would open with demand.

Back