• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electrical issue

paulv

Reaction score
I'm gonna start calling my 68 RR " Christine". Ok I had planned on bringing the car out today . Noticed the battery yesterday would only reach 50 % on my charger and it showed DEFECTIVE BATTERY. The battery is 10 years old. Mind you I started the car last week and it ran fine. Go to put in a new battery today and the car is completely dead. No lights, no turnover, dead as a doornail. I checked the battery with my meter and its at 12.5 v. Even put a charger on it and it showed 75%. Then I put the old battery back in which does have 50% charge and same dead issue. The terminals/cables are clean and were replaced 2 years ago with the correct ones from year one. I also thought maybe when I shut the hood that the terminals maybe hit the clips that hold the insulation pad grounding something out. But neither don't come in contact with the clips or hood. I also checked all the fuses in the fuse box all are good. Can anyone help with me Christine? I know the ballast resistor cause similar problems with my 68 dart a few years back. Just don't remember if it killed the entire electrical system. Thanks

quikbird

Reaction score
A typical electrical can of worms. The good news is that the problem is most likely in the engine compartment and more likely in the battery cables. If you have no lights etc on a charged battery, that means that the power is not getting into the circuit. either the ground is bad or the hot lead. there was a recent thread here that went into the voltage drop issue. but I think the problem is simpler in that something is just not connected in the cables somewhere. could have just snapped inside the wire. I would start there for my 2 cents worth.

paulv

Reaction score
you are correct 2 loose connections on the bulkhead, the clips somehow came undone :" Christine is back" Thanks guys rest of a great summer to you all

Back