• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic Ignition conversion

artiststan

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been talked about at length already but here goes.. a friend is a master mechanic and says electronic ignition and higher volted coil conversion is the only way to go on my 69 Roadrunner and my 67 GTX over existing points. I trust the guy implicitly but since this is a mopar forum I'd like to know what others think in respect to these cars. The RR has a 383 and GTX is 440 with performance cam and double pumper intake.

Ranger

Reaction score
My '69 (383) had the ignition converted a long time ago (I just purchased it last Dec.). I opened the cap and I like what I see. No points to break and strand you (or periodically replace). No dwell adjustment.
The coil looks the same to me.
I'd go for it.

greenpeas

Reaction score
Converted mine to a MSD many years ago. I've never had a single issue with the ignition system since. You won't regret it.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
always remember that in order to run higher voltage through the coil (bypass the ballast resistor) the coil must have the proper primary resistance or it will overheat and fail.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Your mechanic is correct. I know there are ways to keep an original look and still "upgrade". (Petronix?)
My opinion on the upgrade would be stay with the later stock Chrysler system.
I like the plug and play of the Chrysler ECU. Things can fail.
I carry spares.
And with "aftermarket" ignitions, for example, it the thing is hard wired in and fails in the middle of nowhere, you may be stuck.
It's happened to me with a big red box on a hot 340 Challenger.
After having to be towed, I put a terminal strip on the firewall and had a Chrysler ECU on the car for backup. I could swap wires around if had to and run on the Chrysler system.
The only issue I see with yours is that more high performance engines might benefit from a the higher output of a capacitive discharge system.

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
after being stranded when the ecu box died on my newly purchased runner, I pulled the electronic and put points in. never have let me down in over 30 years messing with these cars.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Don't bother with the Orange Box. It is junk. I know it comes with the kit but my experience and that of a friend is very negative with the Orange Box. The Chrome Box is better - or get a Borg Warner from Pep Boys, etc. I have had the electronic conversion system on my previous '71 Charger SE (440, 484 cam) and my present road runner (modded 383) and would never go back to points again. The electronic system is bulletproof (at least mine has been). Just set it and forget it. The one on my car was there when I got it. The Orange Box went (did I mention they are junk?) and I stuck on the spare Borg Warner that was in the trunk with a bunch of other spare parts. No problems since 2004.

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
after being stranded when the ecu box died on my newly purchased runner, I pulled the electronic and put points in. never have let me down in over 30 years messing with these cars.

Hehe That's the exact reason the previous owner gave me for having an electronic installed in the car I just purchased (points failed and left him stranded). If I'm not mistaken, it's a Mopar unit (if that makes any difference).

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
The MOPAR ECUs are a crap shoot.
I had a new orange box fail. But a junk yard orange box ran for years with thousands of miles with no problems.
I finally had to replace it with an off the shelf unit from the auto parts store.
That orange box gave me fits because it didn't flat out fail.
It would shut down but I could restart the car and drive right on like nothing had happened. For a while.
I had another car that would run on an orange box but the MSD unit would die when the engine got hot.
That's the car I wired both types into for back up.
One time I actuality had a car with points that the cap failed. (79 Honda)
Nothing is perfect.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I have Petronix IIs in my RR and '65 Formula S, both with stock coils. They both run great and I haven't had any issues with either car.

quikbird

Reaction score
That the orange colored box usually mounted on the firewall with the connector with the blue and green wires. Part of the ignition system.

Ranger

Reaction score
That's what I thought you guys where talking about. Mine has no cover. :( Another part I need to track down I guess.

mcmopar

Reaction score
The MOPAR ECUs are a crap shoot.
I had a new orange box fail. But a junk yard orange box ran for years with thousands of miles with no problems.
I finally had to replace it with an off the shelf unit from the auto parts store.
That orange box gave me fits because it didn't flat out fail.
It would shut down but I could restart the car and drive right on like nothing had happened. For a while.
I had another car that would run on an orange box but the MSD unit would die when the engine got hot.
That's the car I wired both types into for back up.
One time I actuality had a car with points that the cap failed. (79 Honda)
Nothing is perfect.

I cannot agree more with your last statement (nothing is perfect). I put a dual point distributor in my current road runner the first time I owned it and it always burned the copper strap connection causing the car not to start. It was a pain.
A buddy of mine had the orange box on his '66 Coronet and it failed to fire one day so he put a new one in. Same result - failed to fire - so he put the chrome box in. Fired right up. So he took the car up to the Mopars With Big Daddy show at the Garlits Museum of Drag Racing and cornered the Mopar Performance Parts rep and told him what was happening. The parts rep didn't quite believe him so they both walked out to the car and Jerry showed him what was up as he had mounted both boxes in the car (it was his driver - not a show car). Jerry plugged in the orange box - wouldn't fire. He then put the connector on the chrome box and the car fired right up. The rep wanted to give him a new orange box to replace the new one that didn't work. Jerry told him to just keep it.

Ranger

Reaction score
Did you replace the distributor along with the orange box or are you still using the breaker points with it (if that is even possible)?

Mine looks like this.

th?id=HN.608047273716876908&pid=15.jpg th?id=HN.608000415629705551&pid=15.jpg

Attachments

• th?id=HN.608047273716876908&pid=15.jpg
    th?id=HN.608047273716876908&pid=15.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 1
  • th?id=HN.608000415629705551&pid=15.jpg
    th?id=HN.608000415629705551&pid=15.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
no, when you add electronic ignition, you replace the points distributer with an electronic one.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
I had an orange box from the late 1990's and it performed flawlessly. I have just replaced it with a Rev N Nator because I wanted ta rev limiter and the engine cold starts easier as well. The car feels stronger on the big end too!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and another reply to a five year old thread......

Back