• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine and Tranny Rebuild

Big Block

Reaction score
Headed to Baldwin’s Racing Engines. Great reputation! Can’t wait to hear it run again!!!

B424BD27-BE28-41E4-9C02-A644E677ADF0.jpeg

C55AB0A1-F49A-423D-916A-46D797D6BCF1.jpeg

7ACCDD2C-647D-4721-81DC-36AF752DA6E0.jpeg

‘69_Sunfire_RR

Reaction score
Nice! It will be good to hear what you’re planning for the build. Original 383?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Way to go their Big Block. Making headway I see. Are you going to keep the motor stock or give it a little more punch. What transmission you have in it. Well keep up the work in progress. Russ. :steering:

Big Block

Reaction score
he is going to put a lot of new stuff in the engine. I told him to put a new water pump on while he had it tore down and put a bigger cam in It. change the valve springs for the cam and check if it needs to be bored or not. I told him it was up to him what he thought. he is going to rebuild the carburetor and take the alternator off and rebuild it I am going to leave the old manifolds on it so it looks a little factory and put a kit in the distributor to change it to electronic so it will still have the old distributor in it for a factory look. he is going to paint the engine for me while he has it tore down. The thing I like the best about him doing it is that he after he is done he puts them on the Dino and runs them to see how they perform and the transmission he takes them to a different place and they rebuild them and he gets picked them up when they are done The transmission is a 727 and it is a good one and he is going to get me a stall for the transmission. I told him I just wanted to drop the motor in and hit the key and it will fire up.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sound's like a plan. Like the Idea of the Dino. tested. Yep you will get all the numbers. Keep us up on the build buddy. Russ. :steering:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
This would depend on how much machine work has to be done. You can check on a rebuild kit at summit racing. Ring's and so on. If major work is to be done I would guess around 5 thou. If you could just hone the cylinder walls and only put in new crank bearings and so fort then a lot less. I have to dig into mine and feel it was rebuilt because it has 30 over after the vin number on the block. Really only when you get the motor to the machinist will you know what the cost is going to run you. 30 over is the norm with an all stock block never been bored before. :thumbsup2:

Big Block

Reaction score
I should be getting the engine back in a couple weeks, I can post the itemized list here and you'll see what each item cost if you check back in a couple weeks. He estimated between $4500 - $5,000.

Back