• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine choices.

Reaction score
Well I have a 68 roadrunner that's a 383 3 spd auto car with Dana 60 and sure grip 3.23 gears. when I bought the car it came with a complete 440 in it and he also gave me a 383. Both motors are 1968 casted blocks. Would you rebuild the 383 because that's what's supposed to be there or go with common sense and build a nice 440? I know mopar people are a little odd when it comes to original and liking how it came from the factory. But I'm like who wouldn't want a 440 car. I will be building this car to eventually sell so that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If it already has the 440 in it that is what I would go with. Is any of the motors number matching to the car. If not then the 440 has my vote. Good luck and keep us informed on what you are doing we like pics. :D

ArmyInspector

Reaction score
That's the big question, does the 383 match the car, if so keep the original engine with the car especially if planning on selling it.

Reaction score
Outside of the 440 block casting date being 1.10.68 and the 383 is 5.something 68. I don't even know if I have the original 383 to the car. I don't have a sheet just the fender tag and vin.

quikbird

Reaction score
Check the numbers on the 383 to see if it matches the vin. If it does match put it in the car. If not put the 440 in

Roadcuda

Reaction score
First welcome to the Bird's nest. I'm curious if you're new to the Mopar world or not. If you're not, be aware that 440s weren't available in the '68 Road Runners. 383's were stock with the Hemi's as an option. Also one thing many of us here say is that it's your car to build as you want. Yes, there are many guys who would want the 440, but there also many guys like me who are going to be happy with the 383 like I have in my '69 Bird. With the 50th anniversary of the Road Runner next year there could be some guys looking for a '68 in stock condition, ie, with 383 or a Hemi. So I would say if you are building the car for yourself to keep then you can do what you want. If as you said you're rebuilding for resale then I would put the 383 back in it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

SgtLee511

Reaction score
My two Cents RoadCuda is on the money with his comments. The 383 and 440 Ma Mopar's Bread and Butter, cant Go Wrong... with either < hey we like pictures, post em

Reaction score
I am new to the mopar world. I have painted a few of them I never built anything other than BMW and chevys. My girlfriend is the one that wanted a mopar and I shortly after kinda fell in love with some of them. I'll have to do more digging to see what the block tells me. Thanks for your replies.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome to the site.
I've had a '69 with a 440, and my current car has the original 383. Both are great engines. And to tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference. Both run like rapped apes.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
68 blocks would also been found in 69s. There is a machined flat next to the oil pan near the passenger side motor mount, if there are #s stamped there it's a out of a 69 car and might be the full VIN. If not look at the top edge of the block near the oil sending unit for #s stamped into the cast for a 68 car.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
'68s were Turquoise, '69s were Orange unless in an air conditioned car, then they were Turquoise

Reaction score
just for the sake of asking the question, would having a 426 hemi in a non hemi car up the value enough to validate the cost? Bump up the sellablility of the car? How would you rate the boner factor to seeing a hemi in a car. Not worth it or if you have the budget worth it. Just seeing what people think.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
if you're talking a '60s era 426 yes, definitely ups the WOW factor. If you mean putting a Hemi from a late model car/truck, than for me nope.I'll yawn and walk right past it.

CompSyn

Reaction score
Well I have a 68 roadrunner that's a 383 3 spd auto car with Dana 60 and sure grip 3.23 gears. when I bought the car it came with a complete 440 in it and he also gave me a 383. Both motors are 1968 casted blocks. Would you rebuild the 383 because that's what's supposed to be there or go with common sense and build a nice 440? I know mopar people are a little odd when it comes to original and liking how it came from the factory. But I'm like who wouldn't want a 440 car. I will be building this car to eventually sell so that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

I understand the desire to go with a 440. My first car was a 1968 plain jane 318 Charger. I put in a 440 and made the car into an R/T clone. The car was more valuable and fun in that form for sure. However, I will say that I don’t feel bigger is always better. Bigger is perhaps a little too overdone in this hobby in my opinion. Bigger engine, bigger cam, bigger carb, bigger brakes, bigger exhaust, bigger tires, bigger, Bigger, BIGGER!

As others have said, it’s your car. Do as you please. Bust first, ask yourself, what do I want to do with this car? Race it? Set a land speed record with it? Have bragging rights for the fastest most powerful car in town? All the above? Well then, go 440 or better yet, a stroked 440.

Don’t get me wrong. I like Hemi Road Runners. I like A12 Road Runners. If I had the money I’d own one of each, but I have to say that when I see a 69 Road Runner where the owner swapped the 383 for a 440, original or not, my heart sinks a little bit. In my mind there is a certain nostalgic mystique that goes with a 383 Road Runner.

So if you just want something that runs well and has reasonable performance for a street driven car, perhaps a well thought out 383 build will suite your needs just fine. And maybe, you'd even be plesantly surprised?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and it seems with the "put a 440 (or Hemi) in it, 383s are getting rare.

Reaction score
I understand the desire to go with a 440. My first car was a 1968 plain jane 318 Charger. I put in a 440 and made the car into an R/T clone. The car was more valuable and fun in that form for sure. However, I will say that I don’t feel bigger is always better. Bigger is perhaps a little too overdone in this hobby in my opinion. Bigger engine, bigger cam, bigger carb, bigger brakes, bigger exhaust, bigger tires, bigger, Bigger, BIGGER!

As others have said, it’s your car. Do as you please. Bust first, ask yourself, what do I want to do with this car? Race it? Set a land speed record with it? Have bragging rights for the fastest most powerful car in town? All the above? Well then, go 440 or better yet, a stroked 440.

Don’t get me wrong. I like Hemi Road Runners. I like A12 Road Runners. If I had the money I’d own one of each, but I have to say that when I see a 69 Road Runner where the owner swapped the 383 for a 440, original or not, my heart sinks a little bit. In my mind there is a certain nostalgic mystique that goes with a 383 Road Runner.

So if you just want something that runs well and has reasonable performance for a street driven car, perhaps a well thought out 383 build will suite your needs just fine. And maybe, you'd even be plesantly surprised?

I get it. I'm just not sure of what's going to steel possible money from us or generate more in the long run. Personally I hate having a nice car around after it's built. Lots of stress in trying to keep it nice. I like building cars and moving on to the next project after I've had a little time to appreciate my hard work. It might come from doing body work all these years and having a crap ton of time into someone's car then never seeing the car again or just seeing it time to time at car shows. I've built probably 50+ cars for other people and have only got one ride. But anyway. I like the 383 and the 440 and the hemi idea just seems like over kill unless it came with one. I'm going to paint the car back to the original mist green but I'd like to do a black vinyl top and black interior. Probably some magnum 500 wheels. So the car is going to look pretty stock but it won't be. I'm at the point now where I have the project and I'm just trying to find a solid path. Thanks for all of your responses.

Goon

Reaction score
do you have to rebuild the 383 or the 440? or do they both run.
Put the 383 in the car, if your going to sell it, and sell 440 separately, lots of people looking for 440's to restore cars.

Back