• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Issues Hydraulic Lifters

Collin

Reaction score
I haven't been on the site in a while, but man my car has had all sorts of issues. When we first put the motor together we went with a comp cams hydraulic roller cam and while the motor was on the stand awaiting install the lifters collapsed and we dropped push rods. Fast forward to many years later and I took the car out for a run, shut it off to fuel up and restarted the car to a terrible rattle. Dropped a push rod..... Talked to Comp about the issue and they recommended new push rods that had a round end compared to the oval end we were currently using. Well last weekend took the car out to tune it and AGAIN dropped a push rod. Valve lash was set 1/2 turn past 0, so we changed the setting to 1.5 turns past 0 on the rods that had previously dropped.... lets see how this works out. Apparently many people have had problems with the lifters bleeding down and dropping push rods.

quikbird

Reaction score
That is the first time I have heard of pushrods dropping but comp has had troubles with their roller lifters in the past. I think I'm on my third set in my engine now. Mine are ball and cup style which may make a little difference

IQ52

Reaction score
What cam timing/lift and valve spring pressures? What is your oil pressure at idle and at speed? How many miles are on the engine block?

I refuse to run a hydraulic roller if the lifter bores are not bushed and honed to the correct size.

Big D A12

Live Fast!!
Reaction score
Is this problem consistent with a certain cylinder (s)? If so, you have a valve(s) hanging open. I ended up pulling the heads to have the valve guides redone and it solved the problem.

DD

Back