• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine oil (How many quarts?)

69RNR

Reaction score
So, I just got this beauty last year just in time to garage it. Well, the weather's been great so I'm changing my oil. Can anybody identify this oil pan on the 440 and tell me how many quarts to add? I can't see anything except the markings what appears to be "971". My dipsticks from China[emoji35] and when I got the car the oil level on it was WAY high. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and any info on the engine would just be an added bonus!
b3d5a164ed8837ab98db55b69990f78f.jpg
76494d82fb323457eddfd395ef95b63f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

droptop

Reaction score
A stock oil pan should hold 5 quarts when changing the filter. The stock pan will have 402 on the bottom of it.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Somebody extended the sump on that 971 pan. Put 6 quarts in it and fire it up so you fill the filter. Shut it off and let it settle. Then check the level and keep adding until it reads full. Keep track so you'll know how much to put in next time.

You can't really tell anything about the engine by looking at the casting numbers other than when the block was cast.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
What Acme said. If the pickup was extended to match the pan there will be plenty of oil, my fear would be over filling. The after market dip sticks I have seen measure a little low so you should be fine. Put 5 in fire it to get oil pressure then fill it to the stick. That thing might hold 8 quarts and you will be the first to know.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
If the pickup was extended to match the pan there will be plenty of oil

Which is why I said he should put at least 6 in there. No way of knowing if they extended the pick-up. They probably did, but no harm in making sure that the pick-up is submerged. By the looks of it that is at least an 8 quart pan. JMHO.

Last edited:

69RNR

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I put 6 in and it was WAY above the level indicator hash marks on the dipstick. There was "notch" someone made on the dipstick that was at the 7th quart. Oil pressure is holding at 50. The guy who sold it to me said it was an 8 quart, but I'm afraid to add that next quart...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to compare that Chinese dipstick and the tube (I'm assuming that they are a matched set) to an OEM one to see what you're up against. Until you know how it reads compared to a factory set-up you're just pissing into a fan...

Back