• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Entire Dash removal

fowens

Reaction score
Ok...I did due diligence and attempted to search on how to remove the dash of my 69 RR. From what I have found is the windshield needs to be removed. That seems like a bit much to me. So I thought I'd ask the experts.

Does anyone have any information or direct me to a how-to on removing the dash? I'm tired of busted/cut knuckles from the dash. I'll take a beating from other areas later.

Thanks for the help gents.

-Floyd

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
To remove the entire dash, the windshield will have to be removed. There's no other way to get at the bolts that hole the top of the dash in place.
Sorry.

droptop

Reaction score
The only way to get the dash frame out is to remove the windshield. There are 5 bolts that are under the windshield gasket that hold the top of the dash in place.

fowens

Reaction score
Well, that settles it. I will stop fighting it and just take the windshield out.

Thanks!

69383RR

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or direct me to a how-to on removing the dash? I'm tired of busted/cut knuckles from the dash. I'll take a beating from other areas later.

Blood sweet and tears is the name of the game , not to mention lots and lots of :greedy_dollars:
I think the end result will be worth it though .

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score

Blood sweet and tears is the name of the game , not to mention lots and lots of :greedy_dollars:
I think the end result will be worth it though .

It's pretty straight forward once you remove the windshield. You'll have to remove the steering column and disconnect the wiring, heater controls etc. Top bolts under the windshield gasket and bottom bolts are on each side.

FSM will have details on various assemblies.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There are lower bolts near the doors one on each side that I suggest you loosen but not remove that will allow you to swing the top back toward the interior then prop it up.you can perform allot of work on the dash and firewall from there of coarse the speedo cable and other short items need disconnected before it will move far. This is following what John said above

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah it's a ain to have the glass removed, but, if you have any broken moulding clips, the glass has to be out. Good chance to check for rust in the windshield channel. and, once the dash is out it's the perfect time to replace those dried up leakey wiper pivot seals, and check out the dash wiring.

69383RR

Reaction score
yeah it's a ain to have the glass removed, but, if you have any broken moulding clips, the glass has to be out. Good chance to check for rust in the windshield channel. and, once the dash is out it's the perfect time to replace those dried up leakey wiper pivot seals, and check out the dash wiring.

Wiper seals is the one thing I didn't do before replacing the dash and windshield , hope that oversight doesn't come back to haunt me .

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Floyd - love the avatar with your kids and the Runner. Very cool. Hope they love the old car too. :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
AND...there will never be a better time, or easer time to replace the master cylider if you have manual brakes.

fowens

Reaction score
Floyd - love the avatar with your kids and the Runner. Very cool. Hope they love the old car too. :thumbsup:

Thanks! The kids do love it. My son loves to come out to the garage and ask a lot of questions. Challenges my knowledge and helps remember what I'm doing. I don't know if I'm helping him or if he's helping me. haha

Back