• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust manifold gaskets?

cj69RR

Reaction score
Well the passengers side gasket from the head to the manifold bit the dust on the middle cylinders. Getting everything all cleaned back up and making sure it's all straight. My question is what is the best gasket for the 383hp with stock manifolds?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
No gasket at all, the factory never used them. If they are in good shape, clean both surfaces and I put a very thin amount of high temp ultra copper RTV on the manifold to help with any small imperfections. I mean thin spread it with a finger.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thanks Bob. I've been going round and round with a buddy of mine on this. never found a manifold casket on any engine I had. his boy keeps buring them out on a 440 in his truck, so I tld him they don't need the gaskets.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
thanks Bob. I've been going round and round with a buddy of mine on this. never found a manifold casket on any engine I had. his boy keeps buring them out on a 440 in his truck, so I tld him they don't need the gaskets.
I think the only reason the aftermarket makes them is to sell more when they blow out.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Yep.. Don't use them. If you look in the factory parts manual, they don't even list one.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Cool. Had the same issue on a old Chevy I had and it was the same issue. After using the rtv the issue went away. Saves a trip to the parts store also, since I have some of that rtv ready to go. Thanks

moparmike

Reaction score
Make sure there is no warpage going on. The factory used nothing there, but most old school guys just wiped a little oil on the surface. Just like you would on the oil filter gasket. When the engine gets hot, it burns the oil and forms a seal. That's how they sealed them back in the day.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Does this apply to the small blocks as well? Some of you guys may remember that I am rebuilding the original 273 for my '64 Barracuda and we are starting the rebuild process so this would be good to know.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
pretty sure the same goes for the small blocks too Steve.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Does this apply to the small blocks as well? Some of you guys may remember that I am rebuilding the original 273 for my '64 Barracuda and we are starting the rebuild process so this would be good to know.
Yep

droptop

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:

The heat shield for the hp manifolds acts as a shim gasket on the driver's side. Nothing on the other side.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
Roadcuda said:

The heat shield for the hp manifolds acts as a shim gasket on the driver's side. Nothing on the other side.
Thanks Harold! :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
No gaskets here either. I always spend the dough to have my machine shop mill them flat, they are always warped. The gaskets sold are a very poor fix for a wavy manifold. I paint the gasket surface with anti seize myself. Now you have three options :lol:

Back