• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Muffers - What do you have?

ykf7b0

Reaction score
I currently have Headman headers, 3 inch pipes with a crossover, Dymomax Super Turbo's on my runner and they have turndowns at the rear axle. I am tired of breathing those fumes so I'm going to have the exhuast ran on out to the rear bumper and was thinking about going with some Cherry Bomb glasspacks. I am curious as to what some of you are running and how well you like them. Thanks! Merry Christmas!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ive used cherry bombs in the past and the glass pack doesn't last long at all and the closer to the motor the shorter the life. They do sound good new :yesnod:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Moving to the tech section :cheers:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
flowmasters....40 series....tti/2 1/8 primaries/3 1/2 collectors 3 inch out to the back with x pipe and 3 inch electric cutouts......sounds sooo good.....all the car alarms go off when i go by :thumbsup:

John69RR

Reaction score
Same here. 40 Series Flowmasters, Hooker Super Comps with 2 1/2" pipe all the way to the bumper.

mannye

Reaction score
Stock reproduction mufflers from YO. I am still amazed at how they rumble quietly until you stomp it, then they wail!

dutchrunner

Reaction score
Good day ,

I had 2,5" TTI and Flowmaster 40 series.But the are more master then flow.
Changing to 3" TTI and Dynomax VT mufflers.
Will see in spring what noise does and HP on dyno.

Also changing the STR 14-6 edelbrock to Indy Mod Man Wedge Six-pack intake.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the exhaust shop said mine were Flowmaster knockoffs. withheaders, sounds good, but I don't set off any car alarms.... :D

mcmopar

Reaction score
I have 3" stainless steel Magnaflows on my modded 383. Back when I was getting ready to order the exhaust system (tti 1-7/8" headers & 3" tti pipes) I did a lot of research on mufflers. I found that Magnaflow and Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers outflowed nearly all the performance mufflers on the market (including Flowmasters) by a pretty wide margin. I believe Mopar Muscle did a tech article in which they compared Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo mufflers against the Ultraflow mufflers using a brawny 440 in a 67 Coronet R/T. They found that by just switching from the Hemi Super Turbos to the Ultraflows the car picked up .15 in the 1/4 mile. The test was conducted all in one day and the Hemi Super Turbos were tested early in the day when the air is better.
The Ultraflows and Magnaflows are basically the same design - a straight through perforated pipe wrapped in 2 different kinds of steel mesh (think steel wool) encased in a housing. They are a few decibels louder than other mufflers but the results speak for themselves.
Lately, the Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers have been showing great flow potential as well. As good as the Flowmasters were when they came out, there are much better choices to be had today. Glasspacks are old hat and won't last all that long. The Cherry Bomb Turbo mufflers are ok - I had them on my '71 Charger SE and they sounded good but they reached a resonance at about 40 mph that would just about drive you out of the car. There are lots of good quality offerings out there today for general street use so I'd avoid the glasspacks altogether.
For general street use Flowmaster, Dynomax, Hooker and a few others make some good mufflers that will flow ok. If you are going to play with it on the strip and want a good flowing muffler that will allow you to run the car through the exhaust system without dropping the head pipes (on header equipped cars) you should seriously consider the Hooker Aero Chambers, Ultraflows or Magnaflows.

zupanj

Reaction score
tti headers, 2 1/4" with 3 1/2 " collectors, 3" H-pipe exhaust with Dynomax Super Turbo headers. I like this a lot. It is not overly loud (I'm older than George!) under normal driving but sounds great when I open it up.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
TTI headers, smaller than above, 2.5" H-pipe exhaust with Dynomax Super Turbos and chrome pipes out the back. The fellow was pushing me for to buy an X-pipe system (a little more HP) but I wanted H. It is not really all that loud and sounds circa 1969 nice at idle.

I have gotten on it a few times and it sounds healthy.

mcmopar

Reaction score
To be honest, now that I am no longer interested in running the car at the track I'd like to get a set of the Dynomax Super Turbo's. My buddy Don has a set of the 2.5" Hemi Super Turbo's on his 360 Dart and it sounds great. A nice low rumble but not too loud. The problem is they don't make the Hemi Super Turbo's in a 3" size so the standard Super Turbo's would have to do.

Collin

Reaction score
looking to get the TTI headers, and im not gonna lie im only 24 I want a loud exhaust. I want something where I pull up next to a rice burner, and drown them out to the sound of big block mopar!!!!! :worship: :worship:

mcmopar

Reaction score
It's fun for awhile - then it gets old fast. Just my :cents:. But you need to do what makes you happy. :thumbsup:

Back