• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory tach question(s)...

CompSyn

Reaction score
...for 1969 Road Runner:

1) On the dash side of the firewall, does the tach wire integrate into the dash harness or is the tach wire independent from the dash harness?

2) What size O.D. is the firewall penetration for the tach wire grommet?

Thanks!

CompSyn

Reaction score
...for 1969 Road Runner:

1) On the dash side of the firewall, does the tach wire integrate into the dash harness or is the tach wire independent from the dash harness?

2) What size O.D. is the firewall penetration for the tach wire grommet?

Thanks!

Okay, looks like Year One answered my first question -> https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/hu6869

Still curious if anyone know the answer to the second?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sorry but I never thought about measuring the hole when it was apart and I don't have a picture of the hole to guestimate from either

CompSyn

Reaction score
Sorry but I never thought about measuring the hole when it was apart and I don't have a picture of the hole to guestimate from either

Okay, well I did end up buying the M&H repro tach harness. I'll just measure the grommet that comes with that.

I was hopping by chance that a half inch knock out punch would be the magic size to get a clean factory like cut. If it's an odd ball size guess I'll use a stepped drill bit. It's the last thing I wanted to do is drill on my unmolested fire wall.

red 69 runner

Reaction score
If you look you will find a very small rubber plug where the factory would have run the wire thru without the connector on.I pulled that plug out and used a vari bit on my drill and enlarged the hole to fit the rubber grommet that came with the harness.

CompSyn

Reaction score
If you look you will find a very small rubber plug where the factory would have run the wire thru without the connector on.I pulled that plug out and used a vari bit on my drill and enlarged the hole to fit the rubber grommet that came with the harness.

As I recall, my firewall has a dimple where the tach wire grommet should be. I just got my reproduction M&H wire harness from Year One. The grommet with this harness measures roughly 0.860" inch. A 7/8" inch knockout punch measures 0.885" inch which may be about right. I'll test it on some scrap sheet metal first to see how well the grommet seals. It would still be interesting to know exactly what the factory measurement is?

A pic of the factory install ->

69_Tach_Wire_zps17304834.jpg

69_Tach_Wire_zps17304834.jpg

Quintin

Reaction score
I just put in a Year One harness in my 69 GTX. I used a 7/8 hole saw and it fit the grommet perfect. Loose enough to get the grommet in easily but tight enough to hold.

Quintin

Reaction score
There is an orange wire with a male bullet in the tach harness for the tach lite. Is there a female terminal somewhere in the harness for it. I haven't been able to find it.

Back