Fan Clutch

Engine & Related

1. TOMRR

TOMRR Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I need to extend my fan on my 69RR 440 HP closer to the radiator.it is into the shroud by only very little. needs to be at least 1/2 way into shroud from what I have been told My current fan clutch is a 070. does it make sense to add a spacer, I would have to use studs to do this, or should I get a fan clutch with a longer shaft. The engine runs at 1/2 on temp. gage, when driving but heats up to a little under 3/4 if left to idle for very long.

Thanks Tom C.

2. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    Tom. Mine is all factory stuff and the fan is at the most a third into the shroud, same clutch as you and runs 1/2 on the gauge in town same with idle. What fan are you using and have you used a temp gun on the water pump housing next to the sending unit to see the temp? I just had it out for a cruise last weekend at 104 degrees

3. TOMRR

TOMRR Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks For The Reply: mancini-racing-restoration-2863216-fan-blades-33.jpg This Fan, I have a 180 thermostat ,and the 070 has been rebuilt. They only time it ever heated up a little was on the drive home from Carlisle got stop for about 15/20 min. on the NY Thruway down to a single lane. the very edge of the fan is in to the shroud may be 1/16 of and inch.

4. 69hemibeep

Sep 10, 2008
    Thats a little shallow 1/3rd to 1/2 into the shroud is ideal. 3/4 of the gauge is not that hot but it will get your attention regardless I would still take a temp gun to the housing and see what real life temps are. If 3/4 of the gauge is 210 that's nothing to worry about. Oh you have the right fan.

TOMRR likes this.
  5. TOMRR

TOMRR Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I did check the temp of the water in the radiator at 1/2 on the gauge it was about 195.

6. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Should be able to get a spacer from Summit and the bolt's. Don't sound like you need that much more TOMRR. Hope you get it Bud. :popcorn2:

TOMRR likes this.
  7. 69hemibeep

Sep 10, 2008
    If it held 3/4 gauge and didn't act as if it was going to climb then space it 3/4" or a longer clutch is all you need.

TOMRR likes this.
  8. Terry Hauck

Terry Hauck Choadicus

Sep 6, 2017
    I live in the desert so I installed a 160 thermostat and a flex fan. Works great.

TOMRR likes this.