• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan mounted on Radiator

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
I got my Mercedes fan mounted on the radiator. Now I need to get the radiator painted black so it looks more "factory".

mf1.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Looking good. :thumbsup2: Just to ask how many amp's dose that electric fan draw. Are you putting in an higher out put alternator on the car.

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
At full speed, the fan can pull 50 amps. A member on Moparts makes a controller for it, using PWM. It is a multispeed fan so it will only spin at a required speed. If it needs to spin at full amount, I believe it will only pull the 50 amps momentarily to get to full speed. Here is the website for the controller and some other items. Also, there are some videos you can watch. http://ma-uav.com/FanControllerv3.html

I went with the 60 amp denso alternator kit from AR Engineering. I am hoping that will be enough as I will have 2 big fuel pumps to run as well. I can step up the alternator to a 70 amp or 80 too, if I need more power. I will just have to get another alternator. I am almost certain that they are the same case so it should be ab easy swap out. The Toyota Four runners have the 60 amp in '95, 70 amp in I think '01 and an 80 amp in '05. You can confirm that on RockAuto then go grab one in the junkyard if need be.

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
Here it is all finished....

Mo, I wiped off the tanks and ends first. Then I used a scotchbrite to give the paint something to grab onto. I then sprayed everything but the fins with epoxy primer (Krylon, says it is good for aluminum), 2 thin coats, then I used 2 coats of satin black. It still kind of scratches off easy so I think the high heat paint may adhere better? Or maybe a 3rd coat of the primer.. Where it did scratch off I am sure I didn't hit with the scotchbrite, was close in to the fins. After that, I did a thin coat over the fins, just to give it a uniform color, don't put too much on the fins or you may block them up.

The complete setup is now about 6" deep, hoping that will give me enough room to slip a belt on between it and the waterpump pulley. I also had the waterpump shaft shaved down plus will be using thin headed hardware for the pulley. I'll get some pics up once it is in with the engine to show how much room there is. It will be a month or 2 at least.

fan-Finished.jpg

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
It won't require 50 amps constant, it would only pull that much from 0 speed to reach max speed. With a PWM controller, it should keep the amps a good amount lower than that. The fan is multispeed too, so it ramps up as needed. I asked the maker of the controller about this and he said I should be fine with a 60amp alt., I was also skeptical if the 60 was enough. I can always upgrade it later too. The fuel pumps will pull max 17 amps. I don't have any other big drawl items (no radio, manual everything) and I will use LED headlights. I will have F.I. and use a MSD 6AL.

dmartin

Reaction score
It won't require 50 amps constant, it would only pull that much from 0 speed to reach max speed. With a PWM controller, it should keep the amps a good amount lower than that. The fan is multispeed too, so it ramps up as needed. I asked the maker of the controller about this and he said I should be fine with a 60amp alt., I was also skeptical if the 60 was enough. I can always upgrade it later too. The fuel pumps will pull max 17 amps. I don't have any other big drawl items (no radio, manual everything) and I will use LED headlights. I will have F.I. and use a MSD 6AL.
Hey mark we need to get together sometime meet up in Monroe or Social Circle

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
Sure D, once everything settles down. Maybe I'll have the car done by then too.

dmartin

Reaction score
So do you have it tubbed out, I see the meat balls you have on the rear looks good

Back