• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiberglass Hood

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Where is the best place to get a 6-bbl hood? And what is the best pin-on or bolt-on? What are the odds of finding a air-cleaner base to fit the hood?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As for the pin-on versions, the Year One offering is supposed to most closely resemble the original A12 hoods. This is according to everything that I've read on the A12 website. Also what I have on my car. There are also lighter weight racing units available from a number of sources if this is more up your alley. Aftermarket repopped (6 bbl) air cleaner assemblies are available to fit the A12 reproduction hoods; not sure about anything to fit a 4 bbl however...

As for the bolt-on units, again a number of sources...AAR has pretty nice ones...

Which is better? Your call. Just depends on what you want. As someone with a lift-off version I could make a case for either...it's nice to be able to work on the car with the hood completely removed...meanwhile it is an absolute PITA to remove and install by yourself...not so bad with a lightweight racing version (I have one on another car) however...

:cheers:
Ray

dobie

Reaction score
Well, I bought a fiberglass hood 2 years ago at the Nats. Mine is made by AAR. I'm not sure if I goofed, or the sales guy did, but I ended up with one designed to use the hood hinges. I didn't know this until way later. My fault though, as I picked it up there and brought it home myself. Anyways, I like it. The fit isn't as wonderful as the factory hood, but I don't really think they are supposed to be.

Currently, mine is on using the hinges. A winter project is to get the hinges off, and install the 4 pins. 68's are a tad different, so the front locations will be a little off. I have no problems fitting anything under the hood. Both the 4bbl air cleaner and the Air Grabber set up fit fine. This is with a 1" spacer on my carb as well. Down the road I have a 440 to go in, so maybe that'll be a little different with the raised block height.

A year ago I had borrowed my ex-father-in-law's original 6bbl hood. It was noticeably heavier than my AAR hood. All of the local guys I hang out with say to stay with the hinges. I won't do that though. The main reason I bought a fiberglass hood is so that I have a true "lift off" hood. I may not have the 6bbl set up, but I'm working on the 440 part at least. :cool: For me, right now, the hood is quite easy to take off and on. I realize this will be a pain to check the oil and other small things, but for now this is the route I've decided to take. There's always a give-and-take I suppose.

Now, ask me again in 5 years, .............. :huh:

:cheers:

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am unsure of what way I will go. I like the look of the pin-on but the user-friendly bolt on seems to have it's place. Any idea of a company who makes a "good" bolt-on out there?

dobie

Reaction score
I like my AAR hood. I hear good things though about the offering from Year One, although I don't really know what they offer. Maybe theirs is just a pin on??

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
I checked all they had on the site was the pin-on. That may just be the way I have to go.

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this hood will work with the A12 air cleaner base set-up?

John69RR

Reaction score
I have the AAR lift off on my car along with the 6bbl. The AAR does not come with the "airbox" provision. You need to build it yourself. For years they have been saying that they are working on it, so you will need to check with them. You might want to give Hybrid Fiberglass a call. He is down here south of Houston. They manufacture many fiberglass products. I've heard that he is considering the 6bbl hood. The 6bbl base plate is very nice. www.hybrid-fiberglass-solutions.com 281-489-7733.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
a12-1.jpg

Underside of the stock hood.

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Is it very hard to fab up the air box provision? Would anyone have measurements for this?

Back