• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fly Wheel and bell housing for 383 motor

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hello Bird owner's. Just ordered that transmission I blogged about. It on it way. Now what size flywheel will I need and bell housing. Tried other site's but keep talking 440 or 426 engines. Thought I would reach out to see if my car guy's could help. Oh the deal on the transmission was it was taken out to put a teriamac in. Also got the shifter orginal Hurst style. Passion will sell a partial rebuilt kit cheap enough will go through it my self. Well thanks for the help if someone know's what I need to put this trannie in. I have a 383 in my 69 roadrunner

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I always thought the flywheel and bellhousing were the same on both 383 and 440 engines. the flywheel is 143 teeth I think. clutch however can be either a 10.5 inch or 11 inch diameter.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
11" 143 tooth is the original set up with the 2892626 bell housing

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I always thought the flywheel and bellhousing were the same on both 383 and 440 engines. the flywheel is 143 teeth I think. clutch however can be either a 10.5 inch or 11 inch diameter.

The 10.5" is 1970 & later.

With the right pressure plate (scalloped) you can put a 12" (11.9") clutch on the 143 tooth flywheel. Got mine from Brewer's Performance.

quikbird

Reaction score
another consideration is the pressure plate. you want to match the plate springs to the weight of the bird, horsepower and torque to make sure it can handle it. if it isn't enough you will burn it out early and as much pain in the patootie as it is to change it, you really don't want that. :jester:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey did you say that this will work with my 383 motor. Is their an after market aluminum bell that will replace the cast iron just asking. Now the guy I bought the transmission from say he thinks he may have a bell housing for my runner. this question for 69hemibeep.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hello Quikbird what's up. What do you think might be missing from under the car when I put the four speed back in her and removing the 727 auto. The clutch pedal is still in car I think the z bar will be gone and some linkage from clutch pedal haven't looked that far. Well just might have to get some linkage and Z bar sure they took it out to put in the auto transmission. What are your thought's. Just can't stand to look a clutch pedal and nothing hooked to it. Oh I got the Hurst shifter in the deal. I will need shift pad to mount it to the new four speed. Thank you for you in put. Keep that bird in the wind See Ya.

quikbird

Reaction score
you will need the z bar for sure. probably also the connector from pedal to bar, a z bar kit which will have the two studs it is supported by and the nylon washers, also the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing and fork, adjustment rod kit to connect z bar to clutch fork. check shifter and see if it came with linkage rods. probably will need a shim kit for those which will have the clips and washers for the linkage rods. you can find most of these small parts at brewers or stephens. you could also bypass a lot of this and go to a hydraulic setup for about 650. it would do away with connector, z bar, fork and connectors. still would probably need linkage kit.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Look at Brewers Performance for the 1970 B-body bell housing set up, I believe they were aluminum but a smaller clutch

Last edited:

Coyote

Reaction score
I'm going to throw a wrench in the works. Forget ANY factory bellhousing and go with a scattershield! I've seen a flywheel come though a floor. Not pretty. Consider it life insurance. My MOPAR has a Qucktime and my Brand "C" has a Lakewood. Both are made by Lakewood. Quikbird has a Lakewood in his. They are considerably heavier and somewhat of a pain to install and a little more spendy. Peace of mind is value received!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm going to throw a wrench in the works. Forget ANY factory bellhousing and go with a scattershield! I've seen a flywheel come though a floor. Not pretty. Consider it life insurance. My MOPAR has a Qucktime and my Brand "C" has a Lakewood. Both are made by Lakewood. Quikbird has a Lakewood in his. They are considerably heavier and somewhat of a pain to install and a little more spendy. Peace of mind is value received!

I agree if you are racing or hammering it all the time, it depends on what you are doing with it. OK Coyote time to put your knee and elbow pads on before you get on the bicycle, oh and dont forget the helmet :lol::lol:

Coyote

Reaction score
And?

While you're at, might as well get the KOOL driveshaft loop from Mancini Racing. Bolts on the back of the crossmember. A lot less hassle than fabricating one! Don't forget your safety glasses and gloves. I always wear them to protect my dainty hands!:drama::soap::wave::bart::rules::jester:

Back