• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump noise when key in on position?

Jaydee

Reaction score
Well, my first question, and probably a dumb one on my recently inherited 69 RR.

Had an emotional moment starting it for the first time. No issues whatsoever. However, when I turn the key to the ON position before starting it, I heard a "pump" noise around the passenger rear seat. The thing is, it doesn't stop (maybe not supposed to and logically makes sense not to), but what concerns me is that it's sure loud. After starting it, you can slowly make out the noise and it seems evident that this "pump" noise is still going. My guess is he had an electrical pump put in.

Is this normal ?

Thanks in advance!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the pump... Some are louder than others, and it will also depend upon how and where it was mounted. If there is no rubber insulator between the pump and the metal that it is bolted to, that could account for some extra noise back there... Only one way to know; Crawl under there and check it out...

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
:welcome: Also. On my ford ranger the pump started to making a noise. Changed the fuel filter and it quit. Not too say that is your problem.

Back