• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump rod replacement

72RR440

Reaction score
I've searched the site and have seen a lot of people have trouble with this part wearing out.
But can not find any post explaining how to replace it. I see there appears to be a plug behind the pump on the block. Do I just remove the pump and the plug and the old one will drop out? If so what do I use to remove the plug ? also where do I find this Hughes hardened rod ?

dmartin

Reaction score
you have to take the fuel pump off then loosen up the plug and the rod will fall out basically now to get a new one order it from ARP and when you replace it push it back in the hole as far as you can and dab some heavy grease on the end of the rod to keep it in place cause it will want to fall out then put your pump back on

droptop

Reaction score
The rod will not always just drop out. I had one that was mushroomed on the end and would NOT come out. Wound up putting an electric pump on that car until it was time for an engine rebuild.

Coyote

Reaction score
I’d suggest a little moly or cam lube on the cam end to try an assist with break-in and hopefully not injure cam lobe. :thumbsup::beep:

72RR440

Reaction score
Another question. I replaced fuel tank , 2 fuel lines , sending unit and fuel pump. After I did all that I was getting plenty of fuel. So I went ahead with the work and replaced distributor , coil , ballast resistor , ecu and ignition module. That's when I saw that I was no longer getting fuel. Did I mess something up when I replaced the ignition parts or did the pump rod decide to crap out

72RR440

Reaction score
Plenty of gas in tank, fuel line is not blocked , and pump not hooked up backwards. Like I said I was getting lots of fuel before and now nothing.

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
And if you go backwards to see which one you have replaced is worn out? One piece at a time to check if one of the new one is the problem... Everything worked before you changed for the new electrical parts, so perhaps one of them is defective from out of the box?

I would do that if I had this problem. At each replacement crank it to see if gas is coming, if not keep changing and repeat.

quikbird

Reaction score
answer now is to start down the chain to see where the stop occurs. start with fuel line into the pump and see if gas there then see if comes out, ( could be bad diapghram inside pump) etc all along chain till you find the spot

72RR440

Reaction score
OK I replaced the pump rod. The old one was still good BTW. Still not getting fuel. I put my finger in the fuel pump location and had some one crank the motor over. I could feel the rod moving back and forth but it moved a lot slower than I expected. I was able to verify pump was good before reinstalling. Put the pump back on and from the ran a hose from inlet side of the pump to a gallon gas can. Still no fuel. Should I just buy a blocking plate and a electric fuel pump and move on to the next project ? I see that a lot of people recommend the Carter P74029 any other suggestions ?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
When you played proctologist with the rod did it seam to have enough movement to operate the pump? Just wonder if that lobe on the cam is going away

72RR440

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I also noticed the new rod did not move freely like the old one.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The car I just fired up had a new cam, rod and Carter Hemi style pump and the pump was bad.

72RR440

Reaction score
I have tried 2 pumps and verified that they work. They just won't work when installed. When I replaced the distributor could I have messed something up ?

72RR440

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm looking at getting the motor rebuilt soon anyways. I just wanted to drive it around a little bit first. It's been sitting for 24 yrs.

Back