• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel pump

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Hi guys!
yep it's been a long time! Sorry about that...
Anyway, last saturday I take the road for a ride put in it around 14-15 us Gallon and after 85-90 miles or so, the engine shut down. So of course I pull over on the right lane and then nothing! the car never start up again! i put 6 gall that i had in my trunk for sfety, and nothing happened! so i pop up the hood and saw that no gas were blow in the carb when i touch the throttle. So i guess it's the fuel pump cause it's only the 383 not a 500ci so i didn't use 15 gal for 90 miles! More over i was really kind with the throttle during my cruise so could'nt be a problem of gas.
Then when i arrived at my home after a nice tow with a 73 ranchero, i disassemble the carb and the tank of the carb were empty. i put som gas in it and the engine runs perfectly for 40 second till the tank of the carb get empty. So we guess that the carb is not the problem. so we remove the hose from carb and check if the gas was runnig out. the hose was just disconnect from the carb and just a little bit of gas comes out and then nothing. so we tried to blow the gas from the hose and when it comes we reconnected it on the carb immediately but once again nothing happened when we push the throttle nothing comming out from the carb. So the carb still dry.

Have you got any ideas of what the problem could be? can the depression could be the matter too?
Thnaks for your replies see you!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Fuel pump, fuel filter, check your hoses at the tank for cracks and worse case fuel pump rod off the cam shaft wore out.

quikbird

Reaction score
sounds like fuel pump. there is a diaphragm inside it that does the work and it could wear out or get a hole in it. take the fuel line to the carb off and crank the engine. (put end of hose in a bottle so doesn't spray all over engine) if nothing happens then remove the other hose on the fuel pump ( the one from the gas tank) and see if there is gas there. if gas is there then it is the pump and you need a new one. hope that helped

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Thank you! 69Hemibeep we cheked What you said except for the pump rod off. This is the next stuff that we are gonna check right after the tests of quikbird.
Cause in fact we have already done your first test by removing the fuel line from the carb and nothing happened when we crank the engine. So we are gonna try the second one by removing the hose form the gas tank and see what's happening. I'll let you know when it'll be done!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
A12, What do you mean by saying that?
The fuel tank venting is the hose that comes out from the tank and goes through the trunk floor?

Ranger

Reaction score
Yes, that's the vent tube. Theoretically, if the vent gets plugged it would be like trying to suck soda (or beer) from a sealed bottle. Sooner or later, the vacuum created would be to great to suck the rest out, but my money is on the fuel pump.

Last edited:

A12

Reaction score
A12, What do you mean by saying that?
The fuel tank venting is the hose that comes out from the tank and goes through the trunk floor?

Yes and I've seen where someone confused the routing or layout of that vent........ :whistling: which in turn brings up the question of gas tank caps....vented or non-vented and which should be used on '68 and '69 road runner/GTX????

I had a gas tank that for some strange reason if I filled it too much it stopped venting until the fuel level lowered..........am I crazy, is this even a possibility or did I miss something? I always thought the '68 and '69 road runner fuel cap was supposed to be non-vented but after the incident I run a vented gas cap :biggrin:

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Ok thanks you all! As soon as i'll check everything of what you told me, i'll let you know the finaly issue! :)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
do a quick test....get a gas can (old coolant jug will do), run a fun hose from the jug/can to the inlet of the fuel pump. If the car starts, then your problem is from the fuel line back. If no start then it's the pump or push rod.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
do a quick test....get a gas can (old coolant jug will do), run a fun hose from the jug/can to the inlet of the fuel pump. If the car starts, then your problem is from the fuel line back. If no start then it's the pump or push rod.

Isn't that how you run your car is with a gas can in the front seat :rimshot:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
naw...not this one, but I've been known to do this when needed.......

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
With that little break-down we decided to start the resto of that Roadrunner earlier! So pics are coming for the disassembling of the car...
It will be a long and tough restoration!

moparmonk

Reaction score
Holy Crap! I wish I had a small fuel issue that made me start the resto.... When I started mine, I couldn't tell if the shackles were supposed to be hooked to the trunk lid or not...

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
You know moparmonk if we didn't get that fuel issue we would have started the resto next month so it's not that earlier ^^ lol
But it's more safe to do that cause we got a big leak of oil! When the engine is runing we've got some oil going on the bottom of the exhaust manifold and on the strut rods. so it will be safer to stop a month before. And we do not found where that oil comes from, but i think from the end of the crank shat. Cause when i remove the crankcase of the fly wheel it was covered by oil and i saw on the shaft some oil. Now lets get started!

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
So it's the fuel pump obviously. We make that quick test that you were talking about basketcase, and the engine didn't start up. And when we unplug the hose coming right from the tank, gas were running out. So good thaught for everyone that was the fuel pump...

Back