• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel tank ground?

andy69

Reaction score
Looking through some spare parts on -ebay- I noticed a listing for a fuel tank ground strap,now I do not have one ,should i have one ,and what does it exactly do,also my fuel gauge does not work,maybe just maybe this is the problem.....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think you can see it in this pic. It is on the back side of the main line and bridges the rubber

road runner 919 (Medium).jpg

bstan70rr

Reaction score
I was all up in this project last year, and I do not remember a ground for the sending unit. So, I went outside and looked, and sure enough, there is not one. Then I looked at the picture again, and I do not see one there either. ???

I noticed your insulation between the tank and the trunk. Is that original or did you find some of it somewhere? I used some 1/4" water heater insulation (the bubblewrap=like stuff). Anyone see any potential problems with that?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
bstan70rr said:
I was all up in this project last year, and I do not remember a ground for the sending unit. So, I went outside and looked, and sure enough, there is not one. Then I looked at the picture again, and I do not see one there either. ???

I noticed your insulation between the tank and the trunk. Is that original or did you find some of it somewhere? I used some 1/4" water heater insulation (the bubblewrap=like stuff). Anyone see any potential problems with that?
I wish I knew how to circle or highlite things on a pic but oh well. It is the clip at the top and it has a strap the length of the rubber hose and a clip at the bottom, but most of it is on the back side of the fuel line. You could use a piece of wire and two hose clamps to do the same thing. I reused my tank pad as it was in great shape, its basically real thick tar paper

andy69

Reaction score
Im sorry, im with Mr.stansbury ,for the life of me I just cant see it...........also what does it do?

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
the ground strap is on the far left hose . look at the clip on above the hose and below it the connector stap is the wire that goes behind the hose. hope that helps

bstan70rr

Reaction score
This might be a repeat post. I just posted something a few minutes ago, and it aint here now. I wonder where things like that go. There must be some giant lost and found place out there is cyberspace somewhere.

Anyway, my questions were this: Do all RR's have one? What happens if it aint there? How long is that wire? And can I just make one myself? I wasn't quite so dry with my other post. I just cut the crap and spit it out.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
bstan70rr said:
This might be a repeat post. I just posted something a few minutes ago, and it aint here now. I wonder where things like that go. There must be some giant lost and found place out there is cyberspace somewhere.

Anyway, my questions were this: Do all RR's have one? What happens if it aint there? How long is that wire? And can I just make one myself? I wasn't quite so dry with my other post. I just cut the crap and spit it out.
Try this and look again http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/mf290.html

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is Bob's pic with arrows where the ground strap connects to the fuel line and to the pick-up/sending unit assembly.

Bob\'s ground strap_arrows.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Thank you Ray. Hey Chris, he just maybe advanced enough to pull off the "oil baron" pic :basketcase:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Thank you Ray. Hey Chris, he just maybe advanced enough to pull off the "oil baron" pic :basketcase:

I may not do Elvis hair so well, but I can definitely handle a couple of arrows... :lol:

andy69

Reaction score
THANKS for the arrows,now that helps,i will get back when ive installed tank ground,maybe my fuel gauge will finally work....

bstan70rr

Reaction score
Looked on ebay and saw the strap. For about $15, it looked a whole lot easier to order one than to make one. Looks like the clamps will just connect to the metal line extending from the sending unit and the metal line extending from the fuel tank. I can see the clamps, and that looks right, but I just wanted to make sure.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Pg 14-80 of the S/M shows a picture. Careful when installing, too much pressure will cause the jaws to open and create poor contact. Push just hard enough to get it to clip onto the tubes. They also get brittle with age. As mentioned, if you are not concerned with meeting O.E. standards, a short length of wire and a couple of hose clamps would do a better job.

Back