• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas coming out the back

RonLiv

Reaction score
OK, I've read through most of the forum entry's that appear to ID the problem of leaking gasoline. I can't find one that is specific to mine. But I'm no expert and my problems may be similar. Here is the problem. When I accelerate, or stop, gasoline comes out the back of the car. From the wife's perspective driving behind me, it seems to be coming from the filler neck under the center of the bumper. Not just a few drops, a decent splash of liquid. The car has no leaks in the fuel system, as the car was recently "smoke tested" and showed no leaks. Sitting in the garage it's dry, nothing drips. I have a Vent-less Cap on the back. When I take the cap off I get no sudden release of gasoline, so it seems it's vented properly?
When the tank is 1/2 to 3/4 full it does not happen.
Am I over filling it?

dmartin

Reaction score
You may need a filler neck gasket or rubber around the cap mine did that and bought a new filler neck gasket and cap gasket and it stopped maybe it will do for you

RonLiv

Reaction score
You may need a filler neck gasket or rubber around the cap mine did that and bought a new filler neck gasket and cap gasket and it stopped maybe it will do for you
Ill try this, thanks

RonLiv

Reaction score
I think its the filler neck gasket. I ran my finger all around it and it is soaking wet with gasoline on the bottom. I'll give that a try first. Looks like a bitch to get at though.

dmartin

Reaction score
No just take the clamp loose on bottom and use some vice grips and pull the old one out use some grease on the new one and it should go right back on a little aggravation but worth time money since gas is so high

RonLiv

Reaction score
No just take the clamp loose on bottom and use some vice grips and pull the old one out use some grease on the new one and it should go right back on a little aggravation but worth time money since gas is so high

That could be the problem I don't have a clamp on the bottom, only on the top and I'm not sure that it does anything.
20180712_202701[1].jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Mine had a hose clamp to help secure it in place the neck that is. Nothing on the tank to neck gasket. Should be a place to fasten the clamp to from the rear valance panel if I remember rite. Russ.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Picked up a gasket today. We'll see what happens, it that is the problem
Thanks Russ.

dmartin

Reaction score
Yeah the neck goes inside the tank gasket and is held in place with the clamp

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Should be just below the neck their is a hole in the rear panel cross member straight down. Here is where a bracket is bolted the neck fits against it and the hose strap fit's over it and the neck. Mine must be in a box rite now. If yours is their you should find it with no problem just look behind the cross member up at the filler neck an look straight towards the cross member. If it is their just get a hose clamp. Good luck buddy. Russ.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Thanks Russ, appreciate the help!

RonLiv

Reaction score
hi ron
bring it to Carlisle next year and I'll fix it :thumbsup:
I'm going to have a go at this weekend. Got the filler neck that has the "L" clamp on it and the new grommet you found for me at the show. If that don't work I'm just going to get a big piece of cork and stick it in the hole. :steering:

Back