• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Gauge Hook Up

bschomske

Reaction score
I just had my car put back together after a total restoration.I was wondering how the gauge works in the dash.I have a new tank and sending unit but the gauge reads empty.I looked on the back of the gauge and I don't see any wires going to it.There are two post sticking out of the panel.I would think a wire must go there.Sorry I don't do electric or I would have figures it out..Well I guess thats what you get when the car goes back together Gremlins and I don't mean the car.My brother has one with a 327...I stay with "mopar or no car"................

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the gauges work off the printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster. check out the tech section, all the factory service manuals are there for the '69s.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
gauges all go to a circuit board and the back of the cluster and use a round multi pin connector to make things work.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sometimes the little pins get loose or broken
IMG_3327_zpso2cyg7gb.jpg

IMG_3327_zpso2cyg7gb.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
there's been a lot of people having trouble with the new sending units.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Did you confirm the ground strap was put in place at the sending unit / tank? I have a lot of experience with this issue lol. From the instrument cluster to the sending unit is sent 5+ vdc as the float moves up and down this varies the resistance on the circuit which causes the guage needle to move. but it can't work unless the sending unit has a ground to the chassis which is done via a ground strap that clips to the metal line before the rubber part on the fuel line and the fuel sending outlet unit itself.

Most of the time on these its a bad ground, unless you cluster was not gone through and you have a bad limiter or bad circuit board? or a bad pin.

RR383

Reaction score
So a loose pin can be re-soldered? Or will it further damage the PC board and compound problems throughout the other circuits? On my '70 the only circuit not functioning is my temp gauge. Will be laying the cluster back this fall to dig deeper into my specific issue.

Last edited:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
the circuit board is a possible problem which may or may not be your problem. the circuit needs to be looked at for any possible breaks or shorts. does the sending unit change values when activated? are all the connections clean and tight? these are things that will have to be determined with the individual situation.

RR383

Reaction score
:bump:
Is the 70 board built with same concept as the 69? Central pin connector, etc.?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yes...but the '70s had the Rallye style cluster that is different than the '68-'69.

dmartin

Reaction score
I just had my car put back together after a total restoration.I was wondering how the gauge works in the dash.I have a new tank and sending unit but the gauge reads empty.I looked on the back of the gauge and I don't see any wires going to it.There are two post sticking out of the panel.I would think a wire must go there.Sorry I don't do electric or I would have figures it out..Well I guess thats what you get when the car goes back together Gremlins and I don't mean the car.My brother has one with a 327...I stay with "mopar or no car"................

I had the same problem with my new gas gauge bout made me pull the rest of my hair out till I took my whole dash instrument panel out and started wiggling wires and it started working if the nuts on the back of the gas gauge are not tight and if the are not in the center of the contact circle it will show empty or not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back