• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear Venders Overdrive

Anthony

1968 Road Runner
Reaction score
Wondering..
Does anyone have experience with Gear Venders?
Interested in knowing how you may or may not like their OD units.

Aside from cost, which is always a factor, does it work as advertised?
Shift in 'manual' & 'auto' mode; smooth and reliable?
Any benefit in actual fuel savings?

I like their warranty and potential in a "6-speed" auto.
I'm looking for a overdrive solution and don't have my own 'Mopar Garage Show' on TV, so my fabrication potential is minimal.

THANKS!! AJ
ROAD RUNNERS ROCK!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I road in a car with one. Tough as nails it was behind a monster hemi and shifted quick PM this guy he has one
george68hemirr

quikbird

Reaction score
I have heard from them that the only issues to installation are expanding the trans tunnel in a couple spots. think big hammer for this. they have a good rep as to the performance. anything that drops your revs on the highway will improve your mpg. will need a new driveshaft for this as well.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I talked to a rep just the other day about one behind a 4 spd and he said you might have to elongate the holes of the trans x-member an 1/8". I think the automatic takes more work, not sure.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes got to shorten the drive shaft. Drive train shop should be able to handle this. If not they will sell you a new drive shaft. Looking later to put one in this runner. So if ya get one put in let us know how it went. Oh did see one put in on U Tube. Might have something on their site. :thumbsup:

Coyote

Reaction score
A lot of the Dragweek racers in the killer classes run them. I’d wager a fair amount that durability is a non-issue!:beep:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Have only heard great things about them, but then again I am on the other side of the world.

Expensive? yes. But i rekon you gets what you pays for.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just for the thought of it. I talked to the expert at summit and he told me that I was all ready one to one in fourth gear. He thinks that by adding the gear vender it would make the motor work harder and possible have problems with the over drive. Only time will tell when people have them for a while and see if it is worth that cost. :BangHead:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
from what I understand, the gear vendors unit is only for use above 30 mph. by taking your revs at say 60 mph from 3000 rpm to 2300 rpm, surely it would mean a more comfortable highway cruise?

The overdrive also looks to have a standby mode, before you need to actually "push the button"to engage it. somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Back