• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting the rear of car button up

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ok so here is where I am at now trying to get this area done so can move on to the RH side. Yep set trunk on and fits good so far. Should have the welding done on the drop down on LH side. going to leave tail panel loose to work other side in. Can't wait. :lol:. Well back to work if this runner is ever going to run again. IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
lookin good Russ. so...how many miles of wire have you gone thru?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Here it is Dave. Three roll's of .24- Two roll's of .30 and about two tubes of TIG rod. All and all not bad. The MIG wire are the small spools. The TIG rod is a .375 tube has about 25 rods 3 foot long. Hoping to be removing the RH quarter this week and get the new one on shortly. :D

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Oh if any one is wondering what the white construction paper is for in the back window are it say Don't touch-Pull or push on metal or lean on car. Have had some people that for some reason is slap on the metal on the car. Some where pulling on the rear quarter or were pushing it in. Man what is wrong with people. But they tell me they have restored cars also. I don't think so. :lol:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I confirm that. :kartman: Hey the car is not a beer holder get it off the hood!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
Here it is Dave. Three roll's of .24- Two roll's of .30 and about two tubes of TIG rod. All and all not bad. The MIG wire are the small spools. The TIG rod is a .375 tube has about 25 rods 3 foot long. Hoping to be removing the RH quarter this week and get the new one on shortly. :D
Holy crap! That's a great deal of metal! I don't know how, but I squeaked by with a little over two rolls, and I did about the same amount of metal work. Did you have to do a lot of seam welding vs. plug welds? That's the only reason I can see to explain the difference. I did almost all plug welds.

dmartin

Reaction score
Looking good Russ buddy every little notch gets you a little closer to the end but when you get all the body work done then comes the teadious parts the details

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
No not much seam welding. But plug welded every inch and a half like the factory. Lot of welding on the lower a pillars. Also the door hinge pillars took quite a bit. Have gone through 4 bottles of ARGON but they are smaller than an oxygen bottle. The roll's of wire where the small spools. My welder will take the big spool but was afraid of burning up the feed motor so sticking with the small spool's.

Back