• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has any 1 seen a Cracked rear panel

dmartin

Reaction score
That’s a new one on me, kind of looks like a stress crack that you usually see on a weld

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes look's like a stress crack to me also. Guess that is why they sell those pieces. Mine where not broken but where replaced when restoring the car due to rust. Look's like you could just weld it up put some metal behind it to help form that happening again.

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
Agree on just welding the backside and running a bead on the front then grind it down and that is all that needs done

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
After looking at your pic. It looks like the weld popped loose from the quarter should have been welded to that piece. Give it a little more support.

droptop

Reaction score
Unibodies flex and will crack at the weakest point. The rear panel as shown, the top of the quarters at the doors, and where the a pillar meets the cowl are the most common places. 4 speed cars are normally worse but it depends on how spirited the driver is. My GTX is an automatic and had cracks in all 3 places as well as where the rear springs attach. Yes it has had a spirited life. LOL.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
My shock tower has a small crack started. Like most of say it was due to using Air shock's to raise the back end up. Instead of the spring's carrying the load the shock's where. Was not bad enough to replace the tower so welded it up. Good luck on the resto. :thumbsup2:

Back