• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head lights

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have a fair number of old GE headlights and if I can put together four nice ones I would like to use the old ones. Question is how many volts can you put to a light to test it and not burn it out? I thought they were 12v but my buddy said he burned a set up testing with a battery!

69runner

Reaction score
Head lights take full battery voltage. If your lights are of the proper size for your Runner they are probably 12 volt lamps, so you would hook them to a 12 volt battery. A 6 volt head light would likely be much larger than your Runner takes.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
69runner said:
Head lights take full battery voltage. If your lights are of the proper size for your Runner they are probably 12 volt lamps, so you would hook them to a 12 volt battery. A 6 volt head light would likely be much larger than your Runner takes.
Thats what I was thinking, My friend must have been putting 12v to 6v bulbs being a mechanic he put some doubt in my mind. The bulbs are all out of b-body fenders :wave:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I ended up with 4 good high bulbs and 4 good low high bulbs. Now I can clean them and look at the glass condition :thumbsup:

Back