• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat riser fix

jaymarr65

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm new to this site but I figured for my first post id give up a tip which some of you probably know. I had an exhaust leak coming from the riser so I took the manifold off and removed the riser but now I have these two holes to fill so I do some measuring and I come up with the solution of putting small freeze pugs in the holes, two in each hole. I also put boiler cement between them for some added protection when I installed the plugs and it worked great. If anyone need this fix let me know I have the part # of the plugs from dorman.

djais1801

Reaction score
how long ago did you do this? yes please share the part #
Hello guys, I'm new to this site but I figured for my first post id give up a tip which some of you probably know. I had an exhaust leak coming from the riser so I took the manifold off and removed the riser but now I have these two holes to fill so I do some measuring and I come up with the solution of putting small freeze pugs in the holes, two in each hole. I also put boiler cement between them for some added protection when I installed the plugs and it worked great. If anyone need this fix let me know I have the part # of the plugs from dorman.

jaymarr65

Reaction score
Did it about two weeks ago and no problems and been using the car. I'll get you the part# when I get home.

RR383

Reaction score

Please share additional info on where to aquire both plugs and cement. I have a similiar exhaust leak. Removed worn out riser disc, installed new gasket then reinstalled side plugs, stem and the tiny keeper spring back into manifold. What was I thinking exhaust gases will always find the least path of resistance.

droptop

Reaction score
I remove the heat riser, tap the holes with threads, and screw short bolts into them. I have done this many times through the years on multiple cars, and have never had a leak.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I have done it the way like Harold did and I have also used J&B weld and it worked with no leaks also.

RR383

Reaction score
I remove the heat riser, tap the holes with threads, and screw short bolts into them. I have done this many times through the years on multiple cars, and have never had a leak.

You were able to run a tap through the passenger side manifold w/o breaking a tap in the process? For the benefit of those following this...lets not lose sight that the each side of the exh. manifold has a stepped hole where small steel collars rest supporting the shaft and disc.

Question did you first drill or did you carefully run a tap through the inner smaller hole? Cast metal (manifolds) and taps don't usually like each other something breaks.

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
Who's Harold?? Never realized we had owners on first name basis. Is this forum for the masses or for those select few like this guy...Harold? lol

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This use to be a small group of 69 runner owners and we got pretty close and would meet at Carlise and other places. So yes some of use are quite close and even room at each others homes to visit.

quikbird

Reaction score
Sure there are first names here. Over the years you will run into other members at a car show and the friendships you start here become more as you share experiences. It is always nice to be able to have a face to put with the names and nicknames plus then if you tease someone like I do Dave or basket case and vice versa, you know it is teasing and not an insult. I can't claim this for anyone else, but I really just like meeting other people who like and appreciate chrysler cars like myself.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
plus then if you tease someone like I do Dave or basket case and vice versa, you know it is teasing and not an insult.

I dunno...sometimes Dave needs a good insult just to keep him in line... :basketcase:

:jester:

RR383

Reaction score

Can we refocus on the thread topic...please. Again you tapped through cast w/o breaking a tap?? As I had asked earlier did you (drill out) enlarge the holes first...etc.??

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I dunno...sometimes Dave needs a good insult just to keep him in line... :basketcase:

:jester:
I'm not sure on how that's working Ray, he keeps coming back and dishing out more!!! :lmao:

And RR383. We understand that you're looking for an answer to your question and you'll get it. There just might be a few detours getting there. Please remember what Bob said about a number of us being here from the early days of the site. One idea of the site was that we're like a bunch of friends sitting around kicking back a beverage or two, talking about any topic that comes up which often strays all over the place. Eventually it will come back to the original topic and we have fun doing it. So, as you see you'll get an answer, it just may take a while getting there.

droptop

Reaction score
Redirect.....:basketcase:

Yes pre-drilled. As with cutting threads into any metal requires the correct hole size to start with. Working with cast just takes a little longer. Take your time and use plenty of cutting oil with the drill and the tapping process.

RR383

Reaction score
First gentlemen I can wholly appreciate the "club" thing but...this forum has grown exponentially in a short amount of time. So is it still your small groups website (forum) or is it now for all us that have chosen to chime in?

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
Rr383, welcome to the group and chime in all you want. In fact we prefer you jump in rather than lurk in the background. A free flow of questions and answers and diversions is what makes it worthwhile to check in frequently. It is ok to say "hey! I still need an answer" if your thread gets hijacked and veers off into who knows where.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
so what kind of BBQ sauce do you guys like on your ribs for the Fourth? and don't park your car near Acme's TV.....

Back