• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater hose location

s/theo

Reaction score
Putting back together a 70 383 4 speed Road Runner for a friend & need to run the heater hoses (one is 1/2" ID the other is 5/8 ID) to the water pump housing. The heater box was out of the car when I was putting it back together, but not sure which hose goes where or what are the correct places on the W/P housing. Both fittings on the housing were plugged (actually, there are 3 spots the fittings could go) Car was pretty much a street driven drag car when it was bought, that's why the heater box & misc. other items were off the car. Also, this car had a "factory" looking Mopar/Chrysler radiator in it & the upper & lower hoses for the radiator were on the driver's side, BOTH of them. All the ones I've seen have the upper hose on the right (passenger) side. Were some like that? I know someone here can help me out. Thanks, & Merry Christmas!

s/theo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Ranger. Now that know where the heater hoses go & the stock radiator has both outlet on the driver's side, that will help me a lot. I'm guessing the cars equipped with the "Max Cooling Package" or A/C had the upper hose on the passenger side. P/S, the heater hose bracket location is very helpful also. Believe it or not, I found both of them too. Thanks again for all your help on this.

Ranger

Reaction score
I'm guessing the cars equipped with the "Max Cooling Package" or A/C had the upper hose on the passenger side.
Not positive, but I think you might be right. I also think those might have had a 26" radiator as opposed to the 22" in my picture.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
26 inch radiator the upper is on the passenger side the lower on the driver. But if it works and doesn't bother you leave it alone. Also most don't do it but the heater hoses should cross each othe on the way to the core, not that the core knows any difference LOL

s/theo

Reaction score
26 inch radiator the upper is on the passenger side the lower on the driver. But if it works and doesn't bother you leave it alone. Also most don't do it but the heater hoses should cross each othe on the way to the core, not that the core knows any difference LOL
I do have the radiator that came out of the car in my basement. The current owner is using an aftermarket aluminum rad. that has the upper hose outlet on the passenger side & is using that one. I thought the one that was in there was the one that came stock on the car. (It was my car 10 years ago & I bought it from the guy who bought it brand new, kept it pretty nice, drove it to Atco racetrack, raced it, then drove it home many times, & I even got the original window sticker with it when I bought it. I got it for $8000 too & was a road driven car!) It isn't a show car by any means, but when it's all back together it will be a pretty nice driver with GOOD bones. Not stock drivetrain anymore. I was a high 11 second car though. Just making it a good driver for my friend who owns it now (he's not much of a motorhead) & doing some modern upgrades, while holding on to all the stock parts that were on the car. Should be ready to hit the street by the end of January, maybe sooner. Thanks for all the help on this. I'm getting older & forget some things.

Back