• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please

Ecwv83

Reaction score
I have what looks like a braided line going from under the hood below the brake fluid reservoir down to the transmission that fell onto the truck exhaust and melted. When I took it out a couple weeks ago as I was pulling in the garage it stalled a couple times and I thought maybe it was the clutch but I think it’s related to this fluid that leaked all over my garage from this line. Does anyone know what this is called and where it goes under the hood so I can change it? Thanks

2350A20D-3FB1-4B95-864F-C085A0616E81.jpeg

D8066CEE-548C-433F-B46F-D405764FA52A.jpeg

F9E90927-79EE-4683-AD77-F5247A8776BE.jpeg

quikbird

Reaction score
speedo cable, fluid is probably from tranny. cable is hollow except for speedo shaft inside and bottom half does get some tranny fluid in it

Ecwv83

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that’s a start. Now to figure out why it touched the exhaust and where the fluid came from

Ecwv83

Reaction score
speedo cable, fluid is probably from tranny. cable is hollow except for speedo shaft inside and bottom half does get some tranny fluid in it
I reread your comment and looked at the car again. So you’re saying the fluid filled up in the cable from the transmission? That makes sense to me now. From reading it looks like there is an o ring and gasket behind the gear. Would you know the part number or terminology for me to find them? I can’t seem to locate them. Thank you.

Ecwv83

Reaction score
I reread your comment and looked at the car again. So you’re saying the fluid filled up in the cable from the transmission? That makes sense to me now. From reading it looks like there is an o ring and gasket behind the gear. Would you know the part number or terminology for me to find them? I can’t seem to locate them. Thank you.
Also, this is the 4 speed manual transmission

Ecwv83

Reaction score
Does the cable come with new seals and o rings? I feel like I have two problems, a leak and a melted cable.

quikbird

Reaction score
It is possible to bypass the problem. I am currently getting ready to add a speed hut gps unit that connects to the regular speedo and gets rid of cable. Have not been able to find a block off plate for speedo gear so cut cable about 4 inches from tranny and pulled rest of cable out and filled center of cable with rtv sealant to stop leaks.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You can get the parts from Brewers Performance to replace the O-rings. The gear and holder has to be pulled from the tranny and some gear lube will come out so be ready. From the factory there is a tab welded to the floor that holds the cable up away from the exhaust, it may be missing.

Ecwv83

Reaction score
You can get the parts from Brewers Performance to replace the O-rings. The gear and holder has to be pulled from the tranny and some gear lube will come out so be ready. From the factory there is a tab welded to the floor that holds the cable up away from the exhaust, it may be missing.
Thank you so much for the help! It is greatly appreciated. My wife inherited this car from her dad, I’m no mechanic by any means so the help is greatly appreciated.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To add to what Hemibeep told you, pay VERY careful attention to the clocking of the speedometer gear holder when you prepare to remove it. It needs to go back EXACTLY in the same position when you reinstall it or you may have issues with the operation of the speedometer. There are numbers on the gear housing that align with a small boss on the transmission. It needs to go back to where it is now.

Back