• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi rear spring question.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I have a 68 J code 4 spd RR ,Could someone please tell me,what side has the extra leave in the rear springs? Driver or passenger.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sammy I searched the web and found this. Driver side 6 full leaf's and passenger side 5 full leaf's with 2 half spring's. Now may be someone else will give you another answer. Hope this help. :thumbsup2: My runner is just a 383 car but just put six leaf spring's on it with 2 and half inch recurve to give it some extra lift with out using air shock's. Have a good one.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Ive never noticed any, those engineers are pretty good.
Yeah...Ok,mine sets a little one sided,I was hoping maybe, that had a little to do with it.Just curious, I haven't been able to drive mine much so far,what kinda gas mileage would one expect with just normal driving???

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
For get about gas mileage Just drive it. Thinking 8 to 10 miles per gallon If it is a 426 hemi motor. Now I may be wrong. But bet you cant keep your foot out of it. We say we won't do that but if it is their where going to use it. If it leans to the driver's side it is because one person is sitting in it all the time. To level it up I would put a half spring on that side. Have fun with it. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
For get about gas mileage Just drive it. Thinking 8 to 10 miles per gallon If it is a 426 hemi motor. Now I may be wrong. But bet you cant keep your foot out of it. We say we won't do that but if it is their where going to use it. If it leans to the driver's side it is because one person is sitting in it all the time. To level it up I would put a half spring on that side. Have fun with it. Russ. :thumbsup2:
Hey that's what I was thinking too,and ur also very right about putting ur foot in it,and I really try hard not doing it so much,but it's kinda like Sex,after u do it the 1st ,ur always thinking hey ,how long have I got to wait before I can do it again !!!!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes Sammy. The reason I said about the car leaning is I have seen some heavy people driving their cars for some time and the car ended up with that lean. No pun intended but it is the truth. I have a 383 and don't really know what type gas mileage it will get ether only a 650 Holley will have to wait and see. The big thing is now we have this stupid ethanol. It is a fact that it takes twice as much ethanol to do what one gallon of gas dose. Even adding 10% will lower the mileage you will get to one gallon. Hope this help's you and have fun with the car. Let's see some up dated pic's of the car. We love Pic's. Russ.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Yes Sammy. The reason I said about the car leaning is I have seen some heavy people driving their cars for some time and the car ended up with that lean. No pun intended but it is the truth. I have a 383 and don't really know what type gas mileage it will get ether only a 650 Holley will have to wait and see. The big thing is now we have this stupid ethanol. It is a fact that it takes twice as much ethanol to do what one gallon of gas dose. Even adding 10% will lower the mileage you will get to one gallon. Hope this help's you and have fun with the car. Let's see some up dated pic's of the car. We love Pic's. Russ.
Ok...Russ,pics will soon be coming. Thanks for ur info, and I am trying to figure the best way now to correct the leaning problem..Thanks again !!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes Sammy. When searching leaf spring repair seen a shop that recurves the spring so I don't know about that but it usually takes new spring's. Check with a spring shop in your area. May be you can get them sprung back into shape. Russ.:thumbsup2:

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Yes Sammy. When searching leaf spring repair seen a shop that recurves the spring so I don't know about that but it usually takes new spring's. Check with a spring shop in your area. May be you can get them sprung back into shape. Russ.:thumbsup2:
Thanks Russ....I will look into that !!!

dmartin

Reaction score
Mileage usually can’t pass more than eight or ten gas stations before having to fill up again

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you think it is possible to keep your foot out of the dual quads long enough to get a good mileage measurment good luck with that.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
It looks like I'm going to have to put in a new rear main seal..,......To do that,am I going to have to pull engine or it being a hemi,is there a enough room to remove oil pan to access it ?????

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sammy what make you think the rear main seal is leaking. Should not have to pull the motor. Some one just posted on B body's the way to do it. It was in a forum here also. Pulling the oil pan off should give you access to it. It can be a tough job. Russ.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Sammy what make you think the rear main seal is leaking. Should not have to pull the motor. Some one just posted on B body's the way to do it. It was in a forum here also. Pulling the oil pan off should give you access to it. It can be a tough job. Russ.
Hey Russ...thanks for the quick reply ,was having the front end work being done last couple of days.When I went to pick it up this am,they mentioned it,said it looked like it had a gasket leak on oil pan too.I'll b off tomorrow so I can put eyes on then...They said it would require the motor being pulled out to fix....So I thought I would consult with the experts first before getting to bent out of shape...It sure was a pleasure driving it today though...☺

Back