• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Roadrunner - update

htbhemi

Reaction score
Joined last year while trying to buy back the 69 hemi RR I purchased new back then. Since then, I've bought car back in Feb of 2012. Car was feature in two issues of Mopar Muscle (July 2012 - Hidden Treasures section "Bittersweet Reunion") and now Feb 2013 (went on stand in Nov- don't know why but, that's what they did) "Blast From the Past". Because of the unique story, I was invited to have car featured at this summer's Woodward Dream Cruise as part of the Chrysler display - that was really fun! Here is the link to Steve Magnante's interview (he was Hot Rod tech editor and now does Barrett Jackson auctions) of the car (http://www.livestream.com/dodge/vir422w ... c3ce7fad3a) . It will also be displayed at the Pittsburgh World of Wheels custom car show in late Jan as part of the Pittsburgh International Dragway (long gone but not forgotten) display. I was also invited to show at Bruce Larson's drag fest in Nov and have been invited to be a feature display car at this summer's York (PA) Nostalgia Reunion. The car is a virtual "time warp" for a race car from 1970. When I got it back (after 42 yrs) in Feb of 2012, friends and I pulled engine (66 block, iron heads, hi comp pistons, Racer Brown roller cam) and rebuilt by boring .030, fitting with 10.3-1 JE pistons, CNC'd aluminum heads, Engle cam. Torqueflite was pulled and 4 speed trans installed as original with rare Hurst DPFX shifter, Lakewood scattershild etc. Car needed re-wired (a nightmare and fire hazard), new fuel system. Front seat had separated seam on driver's side so, was recovered. Headliner had mice remains - it was replaced.Two small rust spots at base of rear window corners were repaired as well as a "gouge" in rt. lower qtr panel. Original paint was "brought up" and looks decent - patina but, it's 43 yrs old. In it's "day", the car was a B/MP track record holder at Pittsburgh International, Keystone and Quaker City dragways. We located the painter who originally lettered it (what a seach) and he agreed to come out of retirement and re-due - looks neat. The car will go back on the track this summer where it was conceived by me to run. I have a lead on the original block, have the original hood so, it could be restored but, for me, it's more fun as a race car. I have a race engine in the works for this coming summer but, it will retain the same appearance as it has now - just lots more power! It'll have suspension upgrades so it'll hook and a roll cage (reversible) to get it down the track legally and safely. We're really just stewards of these rare cars and I'll try to leave it in the best condition possible. Have lots of photos but can't seem to attach?

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Great story of your Hemi RR and you bought it for the one purpose and still doing that with it I give you a :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for that!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
great story! sounds like you're local to Pittsburgh, so maybe I'll get to see you and the car.

htbhemi

Reaction score
tks - yes, live in Pgh - car will be center of the Pittsburgh World of Wheels show (Pittsburgh International Dragway, "PID" display) at the Lawrence Convention Ctr Jan25,26,27. Should be a nice show (not really into these things but the PID nostalgia folks asked me to show the car that used to run at the old track and was record holder there - 11.18 @ 130mph back in 1970) and it will be "posed" in front of the old PID "Christmas Tree" along with an original owner 1967 RO Plymouth super stocker. They have about 12 old race cars lined up for the display.

htbhemi

Reaction score
trying to figure out how to post pictures - not much luck thus far

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I remember your quest for the car and also saw the Mopar Muscle article. Congrats on getting her back :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

htbhemi

Reaction score
thank you - nice color car you have there!! (-: Looks familiar!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's my midnight week, maybe I can get up there to see it.

htbhemi

Reaction score
love the yellow!

any idea how to post photos? I tried the instructions - no go!

htbhemi

Reaction score
yeh, spent 10 yrs working shifts at USS - glad I'm not doing that any longer!

htbhemi

Reaction score
I did all of those things - joined photobucket but there was nothing under the photos I added?

I tried to download through "browse" etc but it just endlessly said it was trying to download - think I'm gonna give up!

htbhemi

Reaction score
Big John - looks just like mine Keystones and all. Mine has the original Keystone 4" x 15" on front and 8" x 15" on back I got for it back in 1970. Fronts are very rare and were used only on drag cars and not many remain. I also have an original 6bbl hood (still have original steel hemi hood with cold air package) on the car - needed to clear the magnesium cross ram back then and also reduce weight. To cover up the 6bbl decal outline, we lettered it with a "starburst like" Hemi and the car was known for that at local tracks. I liked the 6bbl hood on the Roadrunner much better than the big 68 hemi scoop that many used. Mine is a coupe and yours a hardtop but otherwise, very similar. Great looking car!

Back