• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a good one!!

woodwiz

Reaction score
I have a Holley 4 barrel on the 383 (super commando)RR and i have had this intermittent fuel leak which i thought was coming from the brass fitting on the carb that the hard line threads into. So i gave it a slight tightening and it moved quite easily. No more fuel all over the manifold. Well today is a different story,there are soft plugs or whatever we want to call them, and they have this semi hard compound over them and the one right next to the fuel line inlet leaked out some fuel today and the compound used to seal that plug crumbled away.
NOW WHAT? Don't say new carb unless you mean it!!
Thanks!

woodwiz

Reaction score
What is this hardened substance that is on my carb locations,perhaps soft plug areas and can it be resealed where it came off?

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
That turned out great. My original is still sitting in a box, under the workbench... it was almost buried in a shallow grave out back. I need to buy a rebuild kit for it.

1968 man

Reaction score
That turned out great. My original is still sitting in a box, under the workbench... it was almost buried in a shallow grave out back. I need to buy a rebuild kit for it.
For $250 I would send it to this guy, its better than new and set to go. The flaps on the bottom wouldn’t move on this , it looked like it had been outside for years, everything is brand new again. If you bought all new stuff plus the kit and your labor and chemicals you would be close to the $ 250 mark. Thanks

woodwiz

Reaction score
Who’s..This guy? Still anyone know what the goop is that is on the soft plugs? Was it put on to think someone was stopping some leaks?

woodwiz

Reaction score
Alright here’s a pic of the carb with some of the compound in other spots. The leaker is right by the fuel line inlet.

11721B0A-A74B-426F-85D9-2EE5023A5714.jpeg

F049B255-F2EE-48C8-B6FE-313254C80450.jpeg

4E6F85A1-8FA5-41B5-BCC9-7F94C9370F9B.jpeg

08039C6C-78A1-4419-9A0E-13F0C2F41C45.jpeg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like somebody has removed or at least monkeyed with (can't tell exactly by the photos) the factory metal plugs and tried to reseal them with some kind of goop. You might be able to reseal the leaker with some JB Weld or similar epoxy. Better fix would be to get new fuel bowls...since somebody has obviously already tried to seal them up before...

woodwiz

Reaction score
That's what i thought on the messing with the plugs. I did however only had some Permatex hi-temp silicone and put it on the plug that was leaking, kinda think that their won't be much bond because of trace contamination from fuel.
I'll check in the morning,not holding out alot of hope. Maybe the next cheap step will be the JB weld.

woodwiz

Reaction score
That’s how I see it but I thought WTH.
JB or a rebuild...it’s that simple! Another can of worms opened

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Call Holley and they can sell you any thing you need for the carb. Yes look's like in steed of getting new bowl gaskets they use silicone. Not a good move. New plug's and O ring's also.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info! I got some JB weld compound (putty) it says it is fuel resistant so it’s my temp fix.

Back