• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highway speed vibration

bschomske

Reaction score
I had the runner out the other day..When i drive the car at 55---to---90 i get alot of vibration through the floor boards..I don't know if its the 4:10 "S screaming or maybe the drive shaft needs balancing. Do I have to maybe have the gears changed?...Bruce

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I had the runner out the other day..When i drive the car at 55---to---90 i get alot of vibration through the floor boards..I don't know if its the 4:10 "S screaming or maybe the drive shaft needs balancing. Do I have to maybe have the gears changed?...Bruce

Most likely U-joints, drive shaft balance, broken trans mount or pinion angle if you lifted the rear, start in that order. Other than a vibration what kind of noise?

Last edited:

bschomske

Reaction score
the noise is hard to explain ..Sounds more of vibration noise ,kinda loud and you feel it through the car. I have never done anything with the u-joint.Stock tires 14" not wide ones.The rear end was all rebuild years ago when the gears were changed from 3:91 to the 4:10. Thanks for the advice and i will have something to go on now....Nice hemi car.....B5 blue great color ..thats the color my brother had some 46 years ago...Made me fall in love as a kidd with that car..

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Usually if it's driveshaft, the car will shake, then smooth out, then shake again.

If it's a tire, the shake just gets worse.

Look at your tire/wheels and make sure all the wheel weights are still there. Check the U-joints next and look the driveshaft over. Sometimes the weights will break off the shaft too.

I've slightly twisted a couple drive shafts and that will drive you nuts because everything will look right, but the U-joints are no longer "clocked" the same.

bschomske

Reaction score
Thanks for all the response..I will have to do some investigation..But i think for the money i will start with the u-joints ,seeing i have replaced everything on the car after the rotisere restoration....But I didn"t touch the tires..on the list..But I have had the problem before i started the restoration...The faster i run the runner the more the vibration though....Bruce

Danomt

Reaction score
Just put jack stands under the axle tubes, remove tires, install a couple nuts on to hold the drums on and let the weight down on the stands. now run up to where vibration was. If gone then is the tires, If still there then it is the driveshaft. this has always worked for me...

Last edited:

bschomske

Reaction score
I will have to look into that..I ave a friend with a car repair bussiness..maybe i can put the car on the lift and do the same..just don't know when i can get this done....

Danomt

Reaction score
I will have to look into that..I ave a friend with a car repair bussiness..maybe i can put the car on the lift and do the same..just don't know when i can get this done....

You have to let the weight of the car be on the axle so that the u-joints are the same as when driving... This is much more reasonably than buying wrong parts.

bschomske

Reaction score
Talked to my friend with the garage and he says its the transmission mount!! This will cause vibration through the floor like I feel..So i guess i will install new mount and go from there.

dmartin

Reaction score
Good deal,it's always something simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early Bird

Reaction score
Was the issue the trans mount?
I am having a similar issue however it seems to be more of an 2500 RPM and up vibration and also seems to be mid car. This car originally had an automatic transmission in it and now has a 4 speed and has had the vibration since it was purchased by my nephew. I have verified the harmonic balancer is the correct one. He was told the drive shaft could be to long we had it shortened and balanced. I just pulled the transmission to check for the pilot bushing and it has the bushing but the yoke would not come out without a come along and hammer. could be because he keep driving it with the vibration. The first time we pulled it came out easy. The splines on the yoke and transmission look OK. The clutch and pressure plate looks good.

Coyote

Reaction score
It sounds like the splines on the tailshaft or in the slip yoke have definitely twisted.

TOMRR

Reaction score
I had a similar issue at around 65 to 70 , Mine was a broken motor mount on driver side

Back