• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley or Edelbrock ??

TOMRR

Reaction score
My Engine builder is steering me toward using an Holly over the Edelbrock Carb. I have a 1972 HP440 and having it brought up to 1969 HP 440 Horse power and Torque !! I like the Edelbrock and have run a 750
Performer on this engine in the past. The only thing I know about Hollies that they are not dependable and leak a lot or has that changed ??

Would like some input on this

Thanks Tom C.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I always ran AVS on my mopars. Never cared for Hollies, but I don't know why, I had one on a Ford, maybe bad memories from that whole car experience. My current road runner has a Holley, had it since '07, and no complaints,no leaks.Why is your builder steering you away from the Eddy? His personal preference? If so, it's your engine, go with what you like.

dobie

Reaction score
I've had good experience with my Holley DP. The car had an Edlebrock when I bought it. Even after a rebuild it wasn't right. The same guy rebuilt the Holley and it's been great since 2009.

Just seems to be personal preference.

TOMRR

Reaction score
When I had the 750 Edelbrock on this 440 it ran great no issues .I do no know way my engine builder wants to use a Holly ? But I am looking at The Edelbrock EDE-1412 800 cfm Recommended for High-Performance street and light strip. Mind will only be driven on the street

Thanks For All The InPut !!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Both can work well, people get comfortable with one brand and stay with it. I like them both but I do think the Holley can be tuned a bit better, so read and get familiar with the one you pick.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Also looking at the Edelbrock 800CFM AVS

Ranger

Reaction score
Mine has an Eddy 750 (1411). Previous owner put it on with a high rise manifold. I only drove it home (350 miles) from DTW when I purchased it last Dec., but have no complaints so far.

A12

Reaction score
I've been running a Holley Street Avenger on '69 GTX and on my '68 road runner since 2005. A 770 on the 440 GTX and a 670 on the '68 383 road runner and both were "plug and play" right out of the box. But you know how it is there is always the "wonder if I changed the power valve or maybe the secondary spring or play with the float level...." which are all super easy to do and if it doesn't improve something then it's just as easy to go back to the out of the box settings. I like the Holley Street Avenger series carbs and have recommended them to several friends and they are happy with them too.

Holley_Street_Avenger_2.jpg

Holley_Street_Avenger_2.jpg

Mstone68RR440

Reaction score
I just recently replaced the old Torker manifold and Holley 700 cfm on my 440 with a Performer intake and an Edelbrock 1812 800 cfm AVS carb. The new carb was very easy for me tune, idles nice and seems to have made a real nice improvement in the low end of the motor. I am very happy with it so far. I could never get the Holley to run and idle the way I wanted.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Both are very good carbs. They get bad raps from someone messing with them that doesn't know what they are doing usually causing more harm than good. Do your homework on whatever you go with. A new one is even better. Someone hasn't been in there to mess with it will work the best.

whmmessenger

Reaction score
Hollys are good for drag racing, not much for street driving, avs,Edelbrock, are far better, an easyer to fix or rebuild, or tune, you can go with The 750 Edelbrock, put an aluminum spacer under it,and do just fine,its all in your preference of what you want to do with your motor and car,the weight of the car, ect.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I've had a 750 Holley on mine for 12 years and never once had a problem of any kind. I put in a power valve protector and a quick change secondary spring module. I never have to adjust it unless I want to check up on it. Its been completely trouble free. And I got it off ebay used for $100.

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
The intake you choose to run can make a difference too.

If you are going to run an aluminum intake the Eddy will be easiest to tune.
I liked my Eddy AVS.

BUT....
Beware of running an Eddy on a stock iron intake as they have a tendency to transfer more heat into the carb and with the junk fuel these days I have had bad experiences with percolating the fuel in the carb and hard starting after running for awhile and a short stop (like stopping for gas).
This situation can be subdued a bit with the insulating gasket. I also put a -6 braided line on the outlet of my fuel pump and ran it away from the engine block out towards the passenger fender and then to the inlet of the carb to keep the fuel cooler too.

I have had a great running 440 with a Proform Holley. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-67258/overview/
I personally like the vacuum secondaries because it wont dump the fuel until the engine can swallow it.

I have had mechanical secondary Holley based carbs in the past (mostly on Ford applications) that would bog before accelerating from a dead stop or just off idle because of the mechanical secondary dumping too much fuel before the engine was ready to swallow it.
Once again as mentioned above it may just be an overall bad memory thing having to do with that particular XR7

cj69RR

Reaction score
I had the same issues as Vince above. My fix for the eddy was to add a return line off the fuel filter. I had the aluminum spacer on the stock manifold also. The return line and an elect pusher pump back by the tank helped. But the best fix was an aluminum intake. I was lucky to find a early edelbrock intake for it.

Ranger

Reaction score
Hell, mine has an aluminum intake and a high rise to boot so air flows under it and it STILL percolates when shut down. :brickwall:

A12

Reaction score
Hell, mine has an aluminum intake and a high rise to boot so air flows under it and it STILL percolates when shut down. :brickwall:

do you mean it runs on or diesels or the fuel is actually boiling? Dieseling would mean the idle may be too high (which I don't think you're saying). The only way to get rid of some of the engine compartment heat would be to open the hood obviously but no one can do or does that every time. The other way would be to install an electric fan that will run via a thermostat or manual switch. The heat in the engine compartment on these things if unreal after running hard.....but we don't do that do we :D

Ranger

Reaction score
No it's not dieseling. I have it idling at 1000 (PO had it somewhere above 2000, but I now know that's because of the cam he had installed). It's actually percolating out of the vent tube(?) if that is the correct term (even with the hood open). I think I'm gonna need a insulated heat spacer.

A12

Reaction score
Oops I thought you already had the heat spacer.....

Back