• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood pop up spring.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Is their a rubber pad that is on top of the spring. Or some kind of plate on the hood so when it strikes the hood it wont skin the paint up. I looked through classic book but have not seen any thing. Well if you guy's know let me here from ya. Russ.

robertop

Reaction score
Is their a rubber pad that is on top of the spring. Or some kind of plate on the hood so when it strikes the hood it wont skin the paint up. I looked through classic book but have not seen any thing. Well if you guy's know let me here from ya. Russ.
No pop-up springs were available with rubber on top. Several years ago on a similar question somebody's found that a rubber insert was available for a dodge small SUV. Unfortunately, I don't recall the model or year, maybe some member can chime in. I found one in a local yard, and I have it at my painter's garage for now, so no photo, sorry.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
head down to Walgreen's and get a box of these.slip one over the springupload_2019-10-23_20-42-54.jpeg ...might haveta change it once in a while......

upload_2019-10-23_20-42-54.jpeg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Man Dave you crack me up. :rofl:I was thinking more along the lines of a rubber end cap for like a table leg. Or glue a piece of plastic where it strikes the hood. Oh well some ideas are better than none. Russ. :beep:Where the heck did you go Dave you vanished for a while.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I always used a 35mm film container top to put on the spring before closing the hood. Perfect size.
That sound's like a good Idea. Thought about one of those chair skid pad's that you get at a hard ware store. It might not look too good but was just thinking. Thanks droptop. Russ.

TOMRR

Reaction score
I will send a Pic. I put a rubber cap that I had

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Grate TOMRR. Knew someone had a better idea. Than letting the metal spring scratch the paint off the hood. Will be looking for the pic. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Now I like your thinking TOMRR. Did not need a Fifth grader for that one. I am saving this picture. Thanks good idea Buddy. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Rich B

Reaction score
:BangHead:Great idea, attention to detail. Long forgot about that bare metal pock mark. Same difference with those painted latch catches, even with new cars. Just one thing: I believe the cap as such will be worn right through after a dozen closures or so. I might use a gasket punch set and make a heavy rubber disc and cement to that spot on underside of hood. Rubber about the thickness of truck mud flaps.

I’m not that bright, my roadrunner seatbelts were fraying and had a bunch of loose threads back then...... one time I actually clipped those with scissors instead of using lighter to melt and seize stitching (what a dummy). Didn’t realize nylon melted, hmm.

Not that crazy- position in Army required starched uniforms, spit shine boots, shined brass and no loose ends. Forgot now the term for those. I liked the Army better than the Navy, always felt was nothing other than shark food with them. Way easy to make grade in Army also.

Last edited:

dmartin

Reaction score
Hey Russ ever tried those little felt pads the wife puts under chair legs to keep from scratching up the floor, just peel off the back and stick it to the hood part to where no one sees it they are pretty cheap, a lot cheaper than rubbers

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah but he has all the rubbers left over he didn't use in high school and they're bought and paid for

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey Russ ever tried those little felt pads the wife puts under chair legs to keep from scratching up the floor, just peel off the back and stick it to the hood part to where no one sees it they are pretty cheap, a lot cheaper than rubbers
I thought of both ideas like a piece of mud flap cut to fit using trim glue to hold it. Also thought about those skid pad's also dmartin. Still think the rubber leg caps might be fine just paint it black. Good ideas all around guy's. Was also thinking of the hood catch. Well thing's to think of in the future. Russ.

dmartin

Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t think of that especially a big truck mud flap and I would put a screw in the center of it and when it wears out cut you another piece

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and that would look sooo much better than some scratched paint.......:realcrazy:

Back