• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood to framework bonding

mark

Reaction score
Hey tech guys!
Under the hood there are some areas where the factory used some type of 'bonding material' to secure the flat panels of the hood to the hood structure, or framework. Mine is loose in most areas.
Does anyone know what that material is, if it's available or if there is a recommendation for what to use in its place?

Thanks!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I cant remember what its called but any auto paint store should have it where the seam sealer is.

Jim S.

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I cant remember what its called but any auto paint store should have it where the seam sealer is.
Can't remember either, Dyna-Weld maybe? My hood was the same way. I just used JB-Weld between the blobs that were loose. Then just let the weight of the hood hold them together overnight. The next day touched them up with B5 blue. I feel the blue paint is what made this process work. :lol:

BBillyC

Reaction score
My hood was completely separated from the frame. I used seam sealer to bond the two together which worked excellent. It took a few days to harden but once it did it is holding together like a champ. The nice part about it is that it is stiff enough to hold its shape whhen you fashion the glob into place. Maybe someone has a better idea. I initially tried epoxy but that didn't work. When I was doing the seam sealing I noticed the neat properties of the sealer so I thought I would give it a try...bingo.

Jim S.

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
My hood was completely separated from the frame. I used seam sealer to bond the two together which worked excellent. It took a few days to harden but once it did it is holding together like a champ. The nice part about it is that it is stiff enough to hold its shape whhen you fashion the glob into place. Maybe someone has a better idea. I initially tried epoxy but that didn't work. When I was doing the seam sealing I noticed the neat properties of the sealer so I thought I would give it a try...bingo.
Do you remember what type of seam sealer it was. Fast and firm, or 3m urethane, or something else? I'm sure I will have some more blobs break in the future and I'll try the seam sealer method. That way I'll have a little lab experiment going on under the hood to see what holds up the best.

BBillyC

Reaction score
I used urethane. Once hard I painted the underside of the hood...turned out great. I've had the car in storage over the winter and the temps dropped to about -37 degrees for some time. The stuff worked great but I won't know for a few weeks if it withstood the deep freeze test.

glhcarl

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, my frame/hood needs to be rebonded.

Collin

Reaction score
Good info, I have to do the same to mine. Seems to be a common problem.

V269

Reaction score
I used the same when I did the resto on my car and have had no problems with it at all. :thumbsup:

Back